Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine tool suggestions part 2

I built a post for our machine as i'm really into that type of stuff and it allows me to do alot of fancy stuff whenever i have a brain blast or hear a good idea somewhere.

We use vericut and we purchased the machine model from Mazak. We got charged for the model and after hearing that alot of other MFG's throw it in i think that part was pretty lame. 

I built the control and machine myself as i like to be able to tweak and customize.

This was our first 5 axis and we went into it with the mentality that it is worth the time to get the process right before we fill the machine up. So far it has been working very well!

Our machine does not have the smoothx control. It has a Matrix II which has been super as far as i have used it. 

I got the 30 minute demo of the new control at IMTS and i was very impressed by it. It has dynamic type pocketing built into Mazatrol now and you can program off a solid model. Not really a big deal for alot of people but it is cool nonetheless. Also you can't beat the extremely improved processing/feedback speed! Another cool feature is that you can preview your gcode program and the control will show you where the machine will have trouble keeping smooth motion, accuracy, and keeping up with the programmed feedrate.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me and i'd be glad to help you out with some first hand info.

Thanks for that. I'll PM you some questions soon. Cheers

Mr. Leghorn, do you know if this is done using a Matsuura supplied air connection or if the company in Washington designed this system themselves?

We have one job that requires vacuum fxturing and it is long cycle for us so it would be ideal for the pallets if possible.

Thanks

I want to say they charge it in the setup station and it remains charged through the cycle now that I think about it.

I'll check to see if we can go through the pallet. If we can, I'm guessing there's some optional hardware.

There's a company in Washington with a MAM72-100H that uses vacuum fixtures on pallets in their pallet cell. No issues that II am aware of.

In a cell? That is hot. I'd love to have a Hplus630 and MAM72-100H in a fms... One day.

Lots of matsuura kool-aid in this thread :)

I guess you haven't run one ;)

• Like 1

Didn't realize eMC had turned into an advertisement forum

The idea of having the first machine in the country would scare the crap out of me, BUT, if you have experience with the same style of machine from another manufacturer / distributor I would think you should be OK. Our Matsuura machines have required little or no service, including the ones we had for decades, and most of the service that was required came from Fanuc, not Matsuura.

If you know the style of machine, once it is up and running I'd think you could handle most issues over the phone.

C

On board vacuum charge tanks scare me, charge the tank and part and send her in. So any leak and there always is, makes it unfavorable for long cycle times. I am sure its fine with short cycle times and small parts that wont make a large bang when they come off. We looked into a continuous system for our 6 pallet  hmc. Big money for a system that is continually charging each fixture.  Locally there was a shop where a part lifted and cut the operator quite badly (almost in half). Which is why I always try to have  bolts or mitee bites on the part as well as vacuum with a pocket for the part to sit in. 

On board vacuum charge tanks scare me, charge the tank and part and send her in. So any leak and there always is, makes it unfavorable for long cycle times. I am sure its fine with short cycle times and small parts that wont make a large bang when they come off. We looked into a continuous system for our 6 pallet  hmc. Big money for a system that is continually charging each fixture.  Locally there was a shop where a part lifted and cut the operator quite badly (almost in half). Which is why I always try to have  bolts or mitee bites on the part as well as vacuum with a pocket for the part to sit in. 

600mm x 600mm is not that small of a part. I would not consider 2 1/2 hours a short cycle time. The company that charges the vacuum and sends it in does structural aerospace stuff. Their fixtures are works of art. Not the typical "just slap something together and pray". Brazed copper tubing, gages, shut-off valves, etc... Some of the best job-shop fixture work I've ever seen actually.

2.5 hours is impressive. Still a chip or burr under the part and vac will drop in no time, no matter how elaborate the fixture. Waiting 10 or so minutes after loading to make sure you don't have a leak wouldn't hurt. I work at a shop where the majority of our fixtures are vac, we have had multiple instances where parts were not loaded correctly. The parts did not come off, but the 7 gallon catch tanks were 90% filled with coolant due to leaks. This usually happens when sucking down sheet metal blanks that are not properly deburred. I have seen machined parts hold 27 inches of mercury over the weekend, with the pump off. It can be done, I don't doubt it, but I wouldn't trust an operator with it unless the part was also mechanically secured. So even if the vac failed its not ending up in the isle. 

2.5 hours is impressive. Still a chip or burr under the part and vac will drop in no time, no matter how elaborate the fixture. Waiting 10 or so minutes after loading to make sure you don't have a leak wouldn't hurt. I work at a shop where the majority of our fixtures are vac, we have had multiple instances where parts were not loaded correctly. The parts did not come off, but the 7 gallon catch tanks were 90% filled with coolant due to leaks. This usually happens when sucking down sheet metal blanks that are not properly deburred. I have seen machined parts hold 27 inches of mercury over the weekend, with the pump off. It can be done, I don't doubt it, but I wouldn't trust an operator with it unless the part was also mechanically secured. So even if the vac failed its not ending up in the isle. 

I have seen wireless pressure confirmation switches for hydro decouplers that are wired into the alarm circuit of the machine. I would definitely look into something like that before trying to do un attended vacuum machining on an HMC. 

Mike

• Like 2

I have seen wireless pressure confirmation switches for hydro decouplers that are wired into the alarm circuit of the machine. I would definitely look into something like that before trying to do un attended vacuum machining on an HMC. 

Mike

I thought the same thing, these guys evidently have been doing them for years and know something the rest of us mortals don't. :shrug:

Can't argue with success.

Like I said, they are works of art.

just finished up 2 80 plus hour weeks so I finally have time to participate in the forum. We are crazy busy and growing like weeds hence why we were looking for a new machine.

We made our decision last week and the Mazak i600 with the palletech system is the winner. The next phase is looking for a full time programmer to get this machine humming and sort out verification software. Then i have to learn as much as i can about running it beofre it hits the floor in 6 months.

Thanks to everyone for your time and insight it is greatly appreciated.

just finished up 2 80 plus hour weeks so I finally have time to participate in the forum. We are crazy busy and growing like weeds hence why we were looking for a new machine.

We made our decision last week and the Mazak i600 with the palletech system is the winner. The next phase is looking for a full time programmer to get this machine humming and sort out verification software. Then i have to learn as much as i can about running it beofre it hits the floor in 6 months.

Open to a 6 month on site contract assignment. Always wanted to visit the land down under as we American's call it. Shoot me an email and see if we can work something out. :scooter: :scooter:

LOL, Greg and his cryptic questions :)

Foghorn's mental state varies wildly :)

Since I was talking about Washington... Seemed like a reasonable question.

The answer is my normal base of operations is Southern California but I can be found anywhere between San Diegoto North of Seattle on any given day. California, Oregon, Washington and parts of Nevada is my territory. On occasion I find myself in Minnesota or Boston. Right this second I am deep behind enemy lines in Union City, Northern Kommieforniastan.

That's where I am. :yes:

Since I was talking about Washington... Seemed like a reasonable question.

The answer is my normal base of operations is Southern California but I can be found anywhere between San Diegoto North of Seattle on any given day. California, Oregon, Washington and parts of Nevada is my territory. On occasion I find myself in Minnesota or Boston. Right this second I am deep behind enemy lines in Union City, Northern Kommieforniastan.

That's where I am. :yes:

Oh, that kind of state :)

I could be heading over there again soon...... Another technical trip :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So your first mod should be to bolt down the mesh grate in the pallet changer area......

If it gets pushed slightly to the left or right bad things happen!

At least the pallet changer recovery sequence was easy lol!

post-38000-0-58904100-1428362349_thumb.jpg

post-38000-0-40446200-1428362392_thumb.jpg