Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping / Helicoil Tapping

Tinyfxds

I have a bunch a holes in my part that need to be drilled and tapped for their respective Helicoils.  6-32, 8-32, 10-32 and 1/4-20.  If I'm correct the Helicoil taps have the same pitch as the threads you are trying to helicoil right?  So when I enter my pitch of .03125 (6-32, 8-32, 10-32) into Mastercam everything should be fine using a helicoil tap correct?

Yup, the difference is the tap drill and tap are slightly larger but the pitch is the same

DO note that if you ever get into locking inserts, they are typically a different outside size but Heli-coils are as you stated

There are different size helicoils for the same thread as well; i.e. there is more than one diameter 1/4-20 helicoil.  Make sure you have the right drill and tap for the helicoils you are actually using.

Where do you find this? Just curious I have never seen anything specced on the helicoil other than insert style, coating, length, etc. So you are saying there is a (for example) 10-32 helicoil that would require a different drill size and tap, not counting the varying drill size for material (usually very minimal) and the class of fit tap like 2b or 3b? I have a downloaded pdf of their (helicoil's) catalogue and don't see anything about this...

Where do you find this? Just curious I have never seen anything specced on the helicoil other than insert style, coating, length, etc. So you are saying there is a (for example) 10-32 helicoil that would require a different drill size and tap, not counting the varying drill size for material (usually very minimal) and the class of fit tap like 2b or 3b? I have a downloaded pdf of their (helicoil's) catalogue and don't see anything about this...

Mike,

Basically there is standard and oversize.  Look up the helicoil you have in hand for the right drill and tap and you should be fine.  

We have had parts from one customer that wanted the oversize to begin with and the first time we ran them we drilled and tapped to the usual size we use. Needless to say the helicoils didn't go in...