Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I do broaching on a mill in mastercam?

Point toolpath or a finish 3D contour toolpath will do it. The 3D contour give you the ability to back away from the wall with lead in and out. Point toolpath will do the same thing. Then do a Translate toolpath to control your step over and then you amount you need and good to go for the depth of the broach.

HTH

• Like 1

Ahhh ok....   never thought of just using a 3d contour.... so do I just set the spindle speed at zero then?  And do I have to manually add in the M19 for orientation?

Just comes down to how you want to control it. Yes Spindle Speed Zero. I have done a mi trigger for the M19, I have done cantext or I have old schooled it and added it by hand.

Depending on what type of control you use, you're going to have to put a code in do do a feed move with zero spindle speed.

EDIT: I see you're using a Mazak; I don't know about those but you do have to on a Fanuc or Okuma.

You don't for a Makino

Depending on what type of control you use, you're going to have to put a code in do do a feed move with zero spindle speed.

EDIT: I see you're using a Mazak; I don't know about those but you do have to on a Fanuc or Okuma.

I'm going to need to do this on an Okuma macturn30. What code would enable feed without any spindle.

Thinking m110 indexed c axis of course, but no turret indexing as broach will already be indexed in lathe pocket.

On our Okuma LT's with P200 / P300 controls, the code is M808 (cutting feed interlock release OFF) and then when you're done M809 turns it back on.

On our MA400HA horizontal mills with P100 controls it's M130. I'm not sure which one it will be since you're on a mill/turn; we have a couple Macturns and Multus' but I've not used that function on them so I don't know.

• Like 1