Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CHIP LOAD FOR SMALL CUTTERS

Tinyfxds

Feed and depth of cut depends on what material you are cutting and integrity of your machine. Your RPM's of course is gonna be as much of the 12,000 that you can go for a long period of time. We usually run about 11,500-11,800 on our 12,000 RPM spindle. ( OK so they are Haas. What can I do? That's what the boss buys.)

Rough Step over is usually .015 and .01 Deep.   Finish Step Over is .003      Feed can be as little as 5 IPM or less, if it's a small area that you are cutting, and I would go as much as 25 or 30 IPM in big open flat areas. It depends on the detail.

Good Luck.   Experiment.

• Like 1

There is too many variables to give an answer to this. What material, cutter, coating, machine and finish requirements? Look at the manufacturers specifications, it should get you close.

That's why I said "general" guidelines.  In this application I'm finishing a cutting a floor next to a wall and I need the small diameter to finish the radius where the floor and the wall meet.  Mostly we cut aluminum but I wanted to see what people generally thought was a good starting point.

Feed and depth of cut depends on what material you are cutting and integrity of your machine. Your RPM's of course is gonna be as much of the 12,000 that you can go for a long period of time. We usually run about 11,500-11,800 on our 12,000 RPM spindle. ( OK so they are Haas. What can I do? That's what the boss buys.)

Rough Step over is usually .015 and .01 Deep.   Finish Step Over is .003      Feed can be as little as 5 IPM or less, if it's a small area that you are cutting, and I would go as much as 25 or 30 IPM in big open flat areas. It depends on the detail.

Good Luck.   Experiment.

Thanks!  We have Hurcos which I don't think are much better than Hass.  We have gone through 4 spindles in the 2 years I've worked here.  We don't dare push our spindles any closer than 2000 rpm from max, even for short periods of time.

From a job I just did a couple of weeks ago that was 6061 Alum.   .031 2FL carbide ballnose 13300 RPM,  20 IPM, .003 Stepover, the tool was just re-machining a couple of radii that was left behind by a larger tool.  The job was ran on a small 40 taper Mazak horizontal with a 14K spindle.

That's why I said "general" guidelines.  In this application I'm finishing a cutting a floor next to a wall and I need the small diameter to finish the radius where the floor and the wall meet.  Mostly we cut aluminum but I wanted to see what people generally thought was a good starting point.

I understood that but quite simply you can't give even a general guideline without having at least a minimum amount of information. Look through any cutting tool catalog and they state their recommended speeds and feeds, but not without knowing material. 

With small cutters, you must minimize runout.

A small bit of runout can double (or more) your radial depth of cut on a flute or two. .06 is a fairly large cutter for us.

SFM is material dependent. But with 12k, chances are you will be low anyway.

I like Harvey's guidelines, although they are a bit conservative on the SFM. But hey, I like conservative. :p

• Like 4