Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Another Workstation Question

phodee6

Well I always say I do not know everything. but doing this and helping Mastercam company's with support and computers issues for years. and contract programming sense 94 I have starting feel like I have a clue. 

m98custom1212 you most likely not doing anything to complicated or files that reach into the 100 plus megs. but you find you never can have to much ram , well except if you are running 32bit Windows then the system wont use it. you also have to see what your CPU supports for ram as each one does have a limit of ram it will use. at this time mine says 64gig even tho my MB supports 128.

Also using more ram you can dedicate less HD Cache space as you will find you don't need it. so if you have a 120 ssd and it is taking 20 to 30 gigs of space for this incase you can drop it to 10gigs of HD cacheing.

I have maxed out 32gb of ram but only with Solidworks and mastercam bunch of other program running at home. My current workstation at work only has 16gb of ram. I have never felt limited. The only thing I wish we had  is 10gb ethernet ran everywhere and Raid 0 SSD or Pci Express SSD.

I always love more ram but in his use it will be better off with an SSD and 16gb of ram unless he runs multiple CAD/CAM programs and 100 tabs of chrome, outlook,  virtual machines and  about everything elsE  I was trying to max out the ram testing to figure where a good cut off is for price and performance. Hell, I could use close to 5gb in just chrome.  

If really wanted to get fancy which I have before is run mastercam off a ram disk have. 

win.png

Jparis you only used 93% of ram. I'm talking 100% load on the cpu and 100% ram. 

Now on NX I could easily peg 32gb of ram using machine simulation for our mazak integrex  where I worked before.

Jparis you only used 93% of ram. I'm talking 100% load on the cpu and 100% ram. 

Really? I mean really?  That was a moment snapshot on that.....and in ALL of your infinite wisdom, you're going to claim I didn't max it out 

Just wow

Well, I do not remember what file it was a few months ago but I did have my 6core system with 32 gigs  system peged and it was trying to swop from the HD. ps I fully use SSD's I own 15 or is 16 of them. including a Msata ssd to.

I did do this Raid 0 SSD for a few months did not see much of an increase at all on two Intel 240gig 530 series ssd's I am now running it instead on a Samsung Pro 512 SSD.  

Really? I mean really?  That was a moment snapshot on that.....and in ALL of your infinite wisdom, you're going to claim I didn't max it out 

Just wow

because you didn't that's why..... LOOK 7% free 

If you're hitting 100% everyday all of the time then you need more ram but you still have 7% left. 

The system reserves a little for working space.  If it actually hit 100% RAM usage it would crash.  When it gets close it pages to disk.  Three to four years ago I was paging to disk so much I was able to justify an SSD to my boss to put the page file on, but then I only had 16GB RAM.  Shortly after that I got the rig I'm using now which has 32GB and SSDs only, and I page to disk far less often, but it still happens occasionally, and with the SSD's it doesn't slow down nearly as much when it does (though still significantly).  As I said before, this is with multiple high-feed / high-speed surface roughing operations alternating with stock models on mold-style work.

m98custom1212 I wish it doubled but did not. the pro is fast and stable.

Matthew Hajicek™ -Midland Tech I saw this in the past but not so much these days. in this box I have 3ssds and a raptor HDD just for extra junk. but even with this setup all my MC files come for my 10tb dual raid 5 NAS off the network.

This is my old box. New box has 64 GB ram and Quaddro K5200

I'm jealous, period.

Too much RAM is like a girl to sexy. There's no such thing.

In my opinion, I look at it like a carry pistol. Having it makes me feel secure and I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would love it if I was pegging it hard and possible and my RAM use was 3%... but it's not.

Personally I'd take RAM over the SSD if I had to pick. But again, you get what you pay for whether it's a hooker or a computer.

• Like 1

I picked up a couple of HP Z1 G2 all-in-one workstations. All I can say is they are fantastic with Mastercam/NX/SW.

You can select either Zeon, I7, I5 chips. Add an nVidia k4100m Quattro card, Add Whatever hard drive you desire. mSATA, plus 1-3.5" or 2-2.5" drives. Upto 32gig ram. Wireless Keyboard and mouse. Plenty of ports including 2x thunderbolt 2.0, Display port, and plenty of USB. Also can have it with the 27" touchscreen on Win 8.1(which MC really does not take advantage of).

I bought 2 stripped down G2's on ebay and put in my own components and saved a butt load. 1 has the touch screen and the other does not. I don't use the touch screen feature because I hate fingerprints on my monitors.

I also set one up with 8 gig ram and the other with 32gig. I see no performance difference between the 2. The 27" monitors are 2K(quad) screens that are beautiful high resolution.