Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread milling on OD/ 5 Axis machine

PAnderson

I have a round part that has threaded hole around the OD. How would I set up a thread mill op for all of the holes in one operation. This is 4+1 5 axis machine. Standard thread mill has no option to pick hole axis' that I can find. This is on MX9 or MX8 if I needed to go back.

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Jayson. I know you are just the messenger, so I won't shoot you. :laughing:  What if someone had 60 or 100 holes to do? I really like a lot of what Mastercam can do but these are the "little" things that make it look incomplete. I'm glad I don't do production programming any more. I'm just a lowly AE for Doosan. They spend all that time and effort on Multiaxis stuff and neglect the basics.

Thanks again,

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Jayson. I know you are just the messenger, so I won't shoot you. :laughing:  What if someone had 60 or 100 holes to do? I really like a lot of what Mastercam can do but these are the "little" things that make it look incomplete. I'm glad I don't do production programming any more. I'm just a lowly AE for Doosan. They spend all that time and effort on Multiaxis stuff and neglect the basics.

Thanks again,

Paul

I would use multiaxis drill for all the rotational positions and setup the threadmill op as a sub routine.

Out of curiosity, are you using all 5 axis' in the creation of the threads?  Or could the threads be accomplished on a 4 axis machine?  The only reason I'm asking is because when I have to do something similar to this on my 4 axis machine, I use transform toolpath with incremental and subprogram on.  Just a thought.  And this would have similar results to what CJep was recommending I do believe...

The transform op only rotates in one plane, the reason for using the multix drill is to get all the compound angles. If the machine is not using a tilted plane you should be able to use helical interpolation if your control is ok with it. The subs would need to edited in an nc editor.

If it makes you feel any better you have to create a plane for every threadmill hole in Esprit as well. That's never really bothered me till you pointed it out now. Always just "how it is" so I just click click click.

The transform op only rotates in one plane, the reason for using the multix drill is to get all the compound angles. If the machine is not using a tilted plane so you should be able to use helical interpolation if your control is ok with it. The subs would need to edited in an nc editor.

Yeah, that's why I asked if he actually needed to use all 5 axis' to produce the desired thread or if it was possible with just 4.  I have no experience with 5 axis. :-)

I have a round part that has threaded hole around the OD. How would I set up a thread mill op for all of the holes in one operation. This is 4+1 5 axis machine. Standard thread mill has no option to pick hole axis' that I can find. This is on MX9 or MX8 if I needed to go back.

Paul

I have a request in for that.

Guest MTB Technical Services

Paul

What you can do is use FBD (Feature Based Drill) for creating the minor diameter holes.

The planes will be automatically created as part of that process.

You can then create your thread milling operation on one and then copy, paste and modify to streamline the process.

I've used FBD for 5-Axis drilling with hundreds of holes and it works great.

It could use some better sorting options but it still works great.

Thanks every one. This a 5 axis, actually 4+1, machine. Doosan DNM 200 5/AX. This part is a 5 axis part only in the sense that there is no 5 axis machining all at once. A lot of indexing in A and C. This is really a test piece to get a good post. It's still a shame that so much work needs to go into something so simple. But it's not all Mastercam's fault. Oh wait, yes it is. Seriously, all CAM systems have these quirks, Incomplete work to get it out the door and then it goes on the back burner because more important things come up. I'm sure they are overwhelmed.

Paul