Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 Crashing trying to Verify with STL as stock

Mic6

I've run into this before

Try opening your stl file as a mesh is a separate session and check it out.

I'll bet it's been corrupted

In my case, half the stl was gone.

Running back through the ops and building a new  STL fixed the problem

How do I open as a mesh?  I opened the STL file in  a new session and it looks like a solid.

EDIT:  In the File Open options "Open as Mesh is selected" and the file looks fine.

I'll run through and re run all ops and see what happens

I have locked up mine verifying using an stl for one 3 axis surface op. 12 gig of ram just wasn't enough.

Asked the boss for 32 gig and they wound up putting 64 in all our 420z hp's.

We're due for computer refresh soon.  It takes a few minutes to save big files

What if you did it as a stock model instead of a STL? is the part huge and this why you are trying it as an STL?

Because I always forget about Stock Models  :)  Thanks Jay

I've run into this before

Try opening your stl file as a mesh is a separate session and check it out.

I'll bet it's been corrupted

In my case, half the stl was gone.

Running back through the ops and building a new  STL fixed the problem

Re running my verify files worked.  Also, I got lazy on OP3 and just copied a WCS and rotated the STL.  Kaboom.  All is well now.  Thanks everybody

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This happens on very large stls....what I do is to create a stock model from the large stl file and use that in verify.

If a stl is over 10 megs I will make a stock model....it has to do with the amount of memory on your machine and how big your stl is and what your precision slider is set on. Also the tolerance of the stl...they all work hand in hand.

Some experimentation will be needed to know just how big you can make an stl before you start to have problems.

I have 32 gig and find that 10-15 Meg stl is about the limit with 80% resources going to Mastercam.

Sometimes on a job I will have to have several stock models because the opti

Paths create such huge stls.

I will do all the roughing with the multiple stock Models and then I will verify all my finish paths off the last roughing stock model.

I found if I do this I have no more crashes.

Anytime I would save a somewhat complex part STL, with the precision turned up,  and then transformed it for another op. When trying to verify the new op....crash city. After switching over to stock models, my quality of life has gone up. I have crashed a few times with stock models regenerating, but nothing like using STL's in x8.