Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mold design

Tim Pruett

I recently received a job offer designing plastic injection molds using mastercamx9. I have to be honest, I'm pretty nervous and a little intimidated. I've been programing since version 9, about 11 years or so. I'm going Friday to take a solids class at my reseller cause I struggle with solids a little. Although I do like the recent updates, like push/pull.  Hopefully I can learn a thing or two that will help. Any suggestions. Would moldplus be a good addition?

Thanks, Tim

You can do the job, most of the time.  I don't think MCX is the BEST tool, but you can do a lot.  If you are doing anything other than open and shut and have contoured parting lines, Moldplus is worth every penny.  The struggle sometimes with MCX is once you get it designed if you are in a shop that uses full prints to build with, you will most likely need to use another tool to make those prints.  There are many products out there but if MCX is what you have to work with then they must have been getting along with it so far.

I hear Cimmitron is good for molds

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes ,it is

It simply rocks .

Mold design is splendid fast and very easy

Hybrid modeling is cool

Drawings ,dimensioning great

Assebling too

I would say for something as molds Cimatron is better than Solidworks without any doubt

But When I used it for NC what can I say :(

Only true Cimatron fans can say machining in Cimatron is cool .

Ugly  at least but still I used it couple of years with good results .

This is my 5 agarots

BR

I have 500+ mold designs on Mastercam under my belt.

The worklow is usually like this:

1 divide the part into core/cavity / sliders using Moldplus.

2 create solids. Most of the time , the surface model will have to exported outside for waterproofing. This is to save time..

3 After that it's downhill...

Gracjan

We have NX and Solidworks along with Moldplus.  I couldn't imagine designing molds in Mastercam (even with Moldplus) when for a little more than the cost of Moldplus you can get a standard seat of Mastercam.  I only use Moldplus for the juncture surfaces.  Electrodes I find SW or NX is much more powerful and simplified.

Best of luck to you with your new job!