Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple Origins

LStathas

I am using MC9. I want to assign individual zeros or origins for different views of an imported CAD file. We often run as many as 7 or 8 offsets to get complete parts out from each cycle. I have been cheating by laying all my tool paths and then giving them all the same origin and regenerating the tool path. There must be a more simple way?

Thanks for the welcome. I played with the WCS a little but my post doesn't call out my offsets. I am using a Dynapath control and use E values for offsets. This is a conversational event type post and seems to be a week spot with Mastercam. Unfortunately, I have little experience with G-code. I know the Dynapath has the EIA side but have not learned it. Is there something I can do to edit the .PST to get E output?

i have the same issue. I run a Fadal 4020 with a pallet changer. We use 4 vices on one pallet. I want to draw 4 vices in mastercam and have each vice have a zero position or origin. is this the best way to do it? Each vice will be doing different operations.

Watermaker,

We all tend to look at your situation in a unique sort of way.

To me I wouldn’t draw or copy a vice unless I was documenting a set up to impress a customer or, God forbid, senior management.

I tend to use G54, G55, G56, etc! My reasoning is that it’s all that is required to get the job done (Usually done by me, hopefully in the quickest most efficient manner).

Some members would tend to over document a set up because they always have another operator set and run the programs that they have produced. – Usually done to idiot proof a set up or to reduce the frequency of questions.

IE: Chris does the programming and development for his company and doesn’t set up & run the part. James usually does a similar function but always does the set up and first off – from there the operators will run the repeat jobs as required.

Again, it’s a personal preference kind of thing.

Sure I can draw the part, transform it to 3D, shade it, draw the vice, etc, but why do anything other than draw a simple 2D shape and post.

I always keep a very good record of the job unless it is a one off situation, then I will dump it all since I don’t care for unnecessary file or record keeping.

Is it just me or does anybody else glance at the topic and interpret Multiple Orgasims. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Dyslexic?

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 11-16-2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

Bye the way Lstathas & watermaker – Welcome to the forum.

Idiot proofing doesn’t have a very nice sound attached to it but I have always found this to be the best method of describing a set up type effort.

Machining soft jaws to support the workpiece will eliminate the possibility of an operator placing a parallel directly beneath the reamed hole he needs to install.

It always figures the operator has the potential to fail to clamp the vise and still blame the set up man. rolleyes.gif

Regards, Jack

I have figured out the WCS to get my multiple zero's. I just have to get my post to post the E offsets. I have done minor editing to my post before and just wondered if someone had an experience and could help me get the E's posted, but I understand how people get about posts. I will talk to my local guy. The tutorial in the FTP was very helpful. The manual in the software isn't worth the paper it's writen on. Thanks guys.

quote:

have figured out the WCS to get my multiple zero's. I just have to get my post to post the E offsets. I have done minor editing to my post before and just wondered if someone had an experience and could help me get the E's posted

Usually the work offsets are handeled by the pwcs postblock. In MPFADAL1 and MPFADAL2, that postblock looks like this:

code:

pwcs            # Work Offset setting              

if wcs_mode = two, # 'E' fixture offset mode

[

sav_frc_wcs = force_wcs

if sub_level, force_wcs = zero

if workofs <> prv_workofs | (force_wcs & toolchng),

[

g_wcs = workofs + 1

*g_wcs

]

force_wcs = sav_frc_wcs

!workofs

]

To make that work with the post you are using, you'll need to define wcs_mode and change the g_wcs format statement from

fmt G 4 g_wcs #WCS G address

to

fmt E 4 g_wcs #WCS G address

depending on the post you are using. You might also be able to fiddle with the pwcs block in your post and get it to output E values instead. What post are you using?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I just have one part in my MC9 file. Sometimes two if I want a Rendered Solid for my Setup sheet graphic. I use the WCS liberally and my post picks up on the offset changes.

Really there is no need to draw 4 vises and each have a different Offset. Draw 1 part, manipulate your views and origins with the WCS, have it kick out different offsets and BAM! you're done. The huge advantage(IMHO) to doing it my way is that you can completely verify your part without using the cumbersome STL XFORM (Man I hate doing it that way mad.gifmad.gif ) Take advantage of the power Mastercam has and you'll be a happy camper.

HTH

Using the information here and at Mastercam training i have figured out how to machine multiple parts on the same screen. I use the T/C on the parameters box to set the E fixture and the origin on each part.

You were all correct in saying it was to idiot proof and impress management. My management hates computers so i have to go the extra mile to show them what they can do. Thanks for everybodys help and input

Well Watermaker I can give you an even easier way if the parts are all the same you transform. I have Fadal's here and I have found this to be a wonderful tool. i can do all of my operation and proof out one complete part I then use the Transorm and done. The post I am suing which BTW is MPMASTER_FADAL which can be gotten from your dealer that emastercam has devopled freaking rock cause it also gives Max-Mins for you have a way for your operators to see what the tools need to be sticking out so we dotn get the boom bang and oh shi? if you know what I mean. I have also taken that post and stripped it down to give me a set-up sheet of tool and fixture offset used for operations with just MAX-MINs on tools so I can give that along with the emastercam set-up sheet to give a pretty good thing to my operators. If you go back and lok through the old posting about the last 5 to 6 weeks you will hera a few topics about mulit posting I know have mine set-up to post the NC file, THe HTML set-up sheet, and the MAX-MIN post all at once. I have not yet figured out a way to make it print out the MAX-MIN and the HTML set-up sheet but that will come later. Well sorry to go on but I think if you take a little time and see the benfits of what I just covered you could possible see a 20% to 40% reduction in your programming time as well as error than can happen by not having enough information for your operators.

Crazy Millman