Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HSK-A63 Best brand for choice in gage lenghts

Thanks Ron, I actually used them before, good stuff.

Need an advice on hsk vs cat.

Apparently one of the machines we're looking at with the hsk spindle has an extra 3 month lead time vs cat. At 20k rpm i still think it's worth the wait for hsk.

Again, any opinions from first hand users much appreciated.

TIA

HSK is great and holds tools very well. Many of the manufactures have done a great job in offering holders for this configuration. CAT40 without BIG-PLUS is just a waste of money IMHO. The HSK Flange Face to Taper with the internal locking is best way to hold a tool. The internal drive key again a great way to control things. On a Mill/Turn Machine it gives a lot of flexibility to machine parts. That said 3 months to hold up a machine delivery seems insane. I would talk to other machine builders and see if they offer a comparable machine with a better delivery. 3 months in today's manufcatruing could make or break most projects really quick.

About the 3 month lead for HSK... HSK is still not that popular of a spindle choice for the US. It's essentially a "special" for most models.

Matsuura's CUBLEX models have HSK. It's the best if you're doing turning on the machine... or Capto.

Lyndex has a decent selection of HSK. Quality is right up there with the best IMO.

As far as HSK vs CAT/BT? I have not run the 2 side by side. I can say that we have several 20K spindles (Matsuura's) and they are all BT40. We use a few different brands of holders...Lyndex & HPI are our mainstays. We have never had issues....then you gotta be a little smart about it. We don't run set screw holders at 20K. Use good holders. Then typically we don't run 20K for hours on end. If that were the case I would look closer at HSK....tho for our short runs at high RPM's...the ol steep taper has always been adequate.

True, but we'll be shipping our okuma out of here asap when we find a suitable buyer, so those extra 3 months could be a problem,,,

Hey James, I might be seeing you here sometime soon  :thumbup:

Outta likes for the day so here you go! :D

Thanks Ron, I actually used them before, good stuff.

Need an advice on hsk vs cat.

Apparently one of the machines we're looking at with the hsk spindle has an extra 3 month lead time vs cat. At 20k rpm i still think it's worth the wait for hsk.

Again, any opinions from first hand users much appreciated.

TIA

Not a first hand user but we we're looking at hsk for our last horizontal. On one of our tours the owner was telling us the only issue he had was that the hsk spindle was actually too stiff (no dampening) for extended length milling vs their cat50.