Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X9 Dynamic Optirough with rest material

Mastermill

On the WHAT'S NEW pdf about Mastercam X9, it says that the X8 OptiRest toolpath is now Dynamic OptiRough with Rest Material page enabled in X9.

When enabling the Rest Material page, it's suddenly not possible anymore to select FROM OUTSIDE or STAY INSIDE in the Toolpath Type tab. It automatically selects STAY INSIDE.

Is there anyway to select FROM OUTSIDE with the Rest Material page enabled?

And in transitions -> entry method, the Checkbox for OUTPUT 3D ARC MOVES has dissappeared. Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks

On the WHAT'S NEW pdf about Mastercam X9, it says that the X8 OptiRest toolpath is now Dynamic OptiRough with Rest Material page enabled in X9.

When enabling the Rest Material page, it's suddenly not possible anymore to select FROM OUTSIDE or STAY INSIDE in the Toolpath Type tab. It automatically selects STAY INSIDE.

And in transitions -> entry method, the Checkbox for OUTPUT 3D ARC MOVES has dissappeared. Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks

output 3d arc moves is on the Filter page now

"it's suddenly not possible anymore to select FROM OUTSIDE or STAY INSIDE in the Toolpath Type tab"

Yeah, that sucks. Now you must select a containment boundary on center or from outside and it still acts like you are machining a pocket and must ramp into the material from the top. It does not seem to like using the stock definition or stock op either in the rest material. X9 sp1?

"it's suddenly not possible anymore to select FROM OUTSIDE or STAY INSIDE in the Toolpath Type tab"

Yeah, that sucks. Now you must select a containment boundary on center or from outside and it still acts like you are machining a pocket and must ramp into the material from the top. It does not seem to like using the stock definition or stock op either in the rest material. X9 sp1?

Okay then, hopefully it will be fixed in a service pack. At this moment I will stay using X6 because i use these operations a lot.

Another quick question:

I have a Intel core I7 with Nvidia Quadro 2GB, but the verify simulation runs very slowly and not smooth on X9. Even when we change the accuracy/speed. Is this also an issue with other users?

Thanks

Thanks

Yes, they grey out. Dynamic Optirough will always try to approach from outside remaining material where possible. But you must make sure the tool can fit between the rest material and your containment boundary. Setting containment to outside and using the additional offset field will save you from having to manually create a larger boundary.

Yes, they grey out. Dynamic Optirough will always try to approach from outside remaining material where possible. But you must make sure the tool can fit between the rest material and your containment boundary. Setting containment to outside and using the additional offset field will save you from having to manually create a larger boundary.

This does not seem to be the case. I can never get it to approach from the outside. It may cut the outside, but the approach is always from the top of the material like a pocket routine. Fortunately, I am using Swiftcarb Rampmills that allow us to helical at an ungodly high feed and angle. :)

You can fix this issue by using a stock model.

I brought this issue up on the "other" Mastercam forum a while back. This has created havoc with older part files that distinguished between core and area. I've had to do a ton of work to get some of those files current.

You can fix this issue by using a stock model.

I brought this issue up on the "other" Mastercam forum a while back. This has created havoc with older part files that distinguished between core and area. I've had to do a ton of work to get some of those files current.

Which issue? From what I am seeing the opti-rough  in X9 is not able to use the stock model properly. I have tried using  standard stock properties, creating a solid and using stock model. 

I FINALLY figure it out!

In my situation, the stock was much bigger than the part(2.0"), and stock model would not work until I went into the "tool containment" section and in the "Offset" box I added a value larger than the size difference between my part and my stock. So, if I put in 2+ or anything larger it starts milling from the OD instead of from the top like a pocket routine. Cheesy, but I'm glad it works. :)