Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Grab the Coordinates

Bill L.

On occasion we use our CNC router to reverse digitize parts. I know many of you would think this is a waste of machine time, but it is something we need to do to get templates into CAD drawings. Our controller is a FANUC 210i-m. I have been informed that it is possible to grab the coordinates (in X and Y) and use the PC front end that is incorporated inside the controller pedestal, and insert them into a spread sheet or database that would reside on the PC. I will be using VB to create the code on the PC side to make this function work. My dilemma is how do I actually grab the data off the FANUC? Does anyone have experience with this?

Bill

your machine is not wired for a probe, nor do you have macro b. with macro b you could at least read the 5000 variables which are absolute positions.

The only thing you can do is manually move the machine and write down the coordinates. Believe it or not Steinway piano does this, as they dont want to cough uo the money to do it the right way

rgds

George

Hi Bill

Just for one part, a guy could edge find points, and while at each position record x,y values,, VIA program, and then back up the program.

Then(convert code to geo) , or type them in.

once on the screen put a circle the size of your edge finder and then make line,arcs on the correct side of the circles.

Can you take a digital photo,and the rasper to vecter, create pinots along the sline ?

Well you could set up an swivel type indicator that uses the swing arm then go down the profile and record the X distance for the change in Y. No a trick would be is it a curved surface it it were do a little trig and you could wirte a G3 or G2 move to what is close to what you thought it was and use the indicator to check it that route. Sounds like to me you are doing what I use to do without a CMM for checking parts on reverse engineered parts.

Crazy Millman

Thanks for all the input so far. I utilize a simple laser pointing device as our method of following the template, and that works fine for its function. I am only looking to record the X and Y values. Currently I set up a laptop adjacent to the controller and manually input the X, Y values into a spreadsheet on the laptop. You can only imagine how long this takes and the chance for fat finger error!

I do not have a teach function.

My goal is to harness the ability that supposedly resides in the connection from the FANUC to the onboard PC. I was attempting to see if anyone has done this.