Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What a drag

CamHead

quote:

How can I can easily and rapidly create accurate entitties? It seems like a long way or cumbersome way to make geometry.

Cam,

Creating them the 'normal' way would be your best bet. I see/use drag as a modifying tool. If I want to create a circle tangent to 2 lines, I create just that, rather than creating 2lines, a circle and then dragging the circle to snap tangent. I rarely use drag. It's usually something down and dirty when I do.

Edited to say that I used to use drag to see if my cutter would fit into tight spots. I would create a circle the diameter of my cutter, then drag it around my part to see if I would clear (or whatever). This would simulate my cutter. That was how my trainer showed me. Now I just Create-Arc-Circ point and dia, enter dia and move my mouse around. Then I cancel out without drawing the arc. A little off topic there, but worth a mention.

Thad

[ 11-19-2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Thad ]

quote:

Can somebody give me an example of a practical use for the drag function?

- Positioning decorative items to be engraved when the absolute position is not as important as the overall look.

- A cumbursome, yet visually interesting, way to do Xform|Translate|Between Points

- A rather useful way to rotate and translate all at once, rather than doing one, then the other.

- A way to distribute a shape/contour over a number of points that are not in a convenently regualr pattern.

quote:

How can I can easily and rapidly create accurate entitties? It seems like a long way or cumbersome way to make geometry.

Use the sub-functions in the prompt line at the top of the screen. (S)nap lets you use an auto-cursor snap point as the destination point. (P)oint lets you change the drag point. The others have other interesting fuctions. Note that you can rotate while translating by hitting + or -, or you can translate while rotating by hitting + or -.

quote:

That was how my trainer showed me. Now I just Create-Arc-Circ point and dia, enter dia and move my mouse around.

+1 Thad

same here,works great when you are gramming large fabs/castings. are floormill has a 4' ram 18" square. kinda hard to see clearance problems. so I do just as you said. draw a sim of the cutter or ram and drag around to look for clearance

quote:

same here,works great when you are gramming large fabs/castings. are floormill has a 4' ram 18" square. kinda hard to see clearance problems. so I do just as you said. draw a sim of the cutter or ram and drag around to look for clearance

Much faster way 2 do this is to Create ->arc->circ.pt +dia