Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What is causing 0x007c74bf reference memory Crash.

crazy^millman

It has happen atleat 40 times in the last week. I have done everything I can think of from reinstalling Mastercam complete to Changing allocation I am at the point now that every peration I have it saving cuase to telling how far you will be along and it crashes.

The whole thing says then when it crashes in Mastercam:

The instruction at 0x007c74bf reference memory at 0x2105fff0 the memory could not be read.

Click ok to terminate the program

Click cancel to debug the program

If i hit either nothign happens and it just crashes and I have to restart Mastercam at this point has cost me about 5 hours of lost programming and time just today and about at my wits end.

Crazy Millman teh pulling my hair out.

When did this start? i.e. what changed?

I'd do things in this order:

1. Update virus definitions and scan.

2. Check that you have the latest video drivers.

3. Turn Open GL in Mastercam off (if it is not dimmed).

4. Turn graphics card hardware acceleration all the way off.

5. Check for bad RAM.

6. Reinstall/repair windows executables. You don't have to format the drive or anything, and you won't loose your settings.

7. Check to ensure your CPU fan, and all other fans are working. Does this appear to be heat related?

Are any other applications causing a crash?

Millman!

Come to my place with a `puter and I`ll help you. biggrin.gif

Or be more specific ->computer ,OS .video card .ammount of ram .if it is only MC .that crashes or smthn else 2 ,and how ,does it shows a bliue screen of death or regular window .and why ,when you are doing something spec . or all the time ,on one spec, drawing or on every one

It will do U no harm to check processor temperature through BIOS or with a spec. program

I am going outside ,U know - BBQ and so ,and will return after 10 hours .

I will reply to your reply .

Thanks for the replies so let me see where to start.

1) Nothing is different and all virus stuff is up to date.

2) It olny does this in Mastercam

3) The open gl is dimmed

4) How do I check my CPU temperature

5) How do I check for Bad memory (If I cant remember the last time I got over 6 hours does that count) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

6) I will check video drivers and Make sure windows has all the latest and greatest updates.

7) I have had 5 Fans already on this computer. I hate being right but I told them to get a brand new computer not a freaking refub been nothing but trouble.

Thanks guys sorry was out of here at 1:00am and back here at 6:00am

Crazy Millman

Im guessing your using XP.

If your using a ram disk its getting corrupted. probably by windows.

or you have a bad ram segment, try running a though ram test, if the segment is always the same its probably ram. you could try taking out the ram and cleaning the pins very carefully of course. reinstall them in a differant order. see if the segment changes. you would be surprised at what some dust can do.

following fboike , let's say if you have 512 ram and two sticks and it is not Rambus take one of the sticks out for a while and see it does it.

if so then swop out the sticks and try again..

But in the back of my head it is telling me it is some thing with the OS from the past.

Not for sure if I am right.

This is not popping up with the blue screen of death and doing a mermory Dump correct?

No to the Blue Screen of Death only kicks me out of Mastercam and yes Shading is on. No it is not XP it is 2000 nt. I will try the Memory thing and I got soem clean compressed air so will blow out the tower. Be off line for a few so be back and see if it keeps doing it. It is amazing how such much on your mind make you stupid soemtime as i was reading these I am thinking to myself doooohhhhhhh I know this why is only 3 hours of sleep last night 5 hours of sleep the night beofre that my wife at 2cm and all the other stuff making me stress a little hum wonder why? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Well atleast I got the forum ot help keep some stress out of the equation you guys are great and I appericate it a bunch.

Crazy Sleeping Walking Millman

When the computer starts after POST (Power on self =test ) press Escape or Del button on most Bios or according to screen message other button you will open Bios set up program

You will find CPU temperature somewhere (it depends on BIOS model )

Do it after the crash and you will know what it was .

I am a hardware man ,now near me 3 computers I repair now (BTW ,not for money ,sorta hobby , only for the friends and neighbors) and I saw many times a gleak like this due to the processor overheating .

Check memmory also like Jay said .

I had programs to check memory but I can not find it now ,sorry.

You can find it on net too ,

I once wrote one very primitive on C ,there are more modern ,but to do what Jaay sais is good enough.

Beware not to @#$% motherboard , never do smthn by force , you can easyly damage a memory socket.

Now if all OK , turn off net on your PC , even physically take off net wire ,

turn off your antyvirus TSR in right down side of the desktop .turn off everything you can and try once more .

If all ok now ,one of this programs responcible ,most likely antivirus after the last update.

Your update is not only the database update ,it can be also the engine update and it can be a problem

If all remains the same ,start in the safe mode

quote:

To start Windows 2000 in safe mode

They will not be available after you shut your computer down in step 2.

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.

Click Restart, and then click OK.

When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the appropriate safe mode option, and then press ENTER.

NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.

Notes

In safe mode, Windows 2000 uses only basic files and drivers (mouse, monitor, keyboard, mass storage, base video, default system services, and no network connections). You can choose the Safe Mode with Networking option, which loads all of the above files and drivers plus the essential services and drivers to start networking, or the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option, which is exactly the same as safe mode except that a command prompt is started instead of Windows 2000. You can also choose Last Known Good Configuration, which starts your computer using the registry information that Windows 2000 saved at the last shutdown.

Safe mode helps you diagnose

Chose it without network options .

You will get castrated windows without TSRs -VXD stuff and demons .

You will get less colors and other unconvinience but try to use MAstercam and if you will not get it then some process .service or something conflicts with Mastercam .

And it can be page files problem .

Windows and Macintosh ( not sure about MAcOSX)have the same problems with swapping .

It has some funny things .common to both of them .

Linux it is the other story

So before we start to talk about swap(paging ,page file or virtual memory ) I want to know a couple of things :

How much free space do you have on a disk where

your system sits .

What is your virtual memory settings .

Does it happens with Mastercam file of any size or only with big ones or in one specific )

From Dozer help :

quote:

Managing Computer Memory

When your computer is running low on RAM and more is needed immediately to complete your current task, Windows 2000 uses hard drive space to simulate system RAM. In Windows 2000, this is known as Virtual Memory, and often called the pagefile. This is similar to the UNIX swapfile. The default size of the virtual memory pagefile (appropriately named pagefile.sys) created during installation is 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your computer.

You can optimize virtual memory use by dividing the space between multiple drives and especially by removing it from slower or heavily accessed drives. To best optimize your virtual memory space, divide it across as many physical hard drives as possible. When selecting drives, keep the following guidelines in mind:

Try to avoid having a pagefile on the same drive as the system files.

Avoid putting a pagefile on a fault-tolerant drive, such as a mirrored volume or a RAID-5 volume. Pagefiles don't need fault-tolerance, and some fault-tolerant systems suffer from slow data writes because they write data to multiple locations.

Don't place multiple pagefiles on different partitions on the same physical disk drive.

More from WinDozer help :

quote:

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file

Open System in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.

In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

Under Paging file size for selected drive, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.

If you decrease the size of either the minimum or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to change the size of your computer's paging file.

To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.

For best performance, set the initial size to not less than the recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.

Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.

To delete a paging file, set both initial size and maximum size to zero.

Do it and we will talk once more

Millman,

Don't listen to the these guys.

Tell the boss the PC is pooched and you require an immediate replacement = dream system. smile.gifsmile.gif

Besides, you know a guy that fixes & replaces worn out parts on obselete computers and he might have time to tinker with it in about a months time.

Snipping a prong on one ram chip might also help the cause if you know what I mean.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 11-22-2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

Well that is going to take a while and right now I am pulling some long hours so great advice Iskander but limited on time and will fight my way through it unless I just cant do anythign then I will take the time and try all that or maybe on this next 8 hour run tim I will try it then. Again I really appericate you guys helping me and giving me soem great ideas on things to look at.

Crazy Millman

I knew I liked you for some reason Jack. Yeah already been planting the seed of a Dual Xeon processor with about 2 gig of Memory.

On the same line we are doing some molds me and the other programmer about the same part. On the un-named machine he started Tuesday. I got started yesterday afternoon and I have caught him. The owners come by and go WTF why is that taking so long on that machine why is that machine so slow why is that surface so xxxx poor why is there .005 difference in cuts made by the same tool. (Edited out to be more PC) I am sorry to all of you that hate me bashing that certain machine but the HAAS VF4 SS ROCKS AND FOR THE MONEY YOU ARE MAKING IN SAVED TIME PLEASE DONT UPGRADE JUST MORE WORK COMING TO THE PEOPLE WHO SEE THE WRITING ON THE WALL.

Crazy the sleep deprived Millman on his 3 cup of coffee I really feel like I am high and never done any drugs no wonder I don't drink this stuff.

[ 11-22-2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Just an Apdate seems just a good old cleaning took care of it guys I apperiacte the help and be chatting with you gents this week Maybe if Not have a good turkey day I am taking 4 days off then dependign on when the baby comes antoehr week then I got my 11 days at christmas all paided time off so right know dont mind putting in the time to help the companies future.

Crazy Millman teh the humble one who feel most thankful to you my fellom cammers and machinsts alike and yes even the enginners dealers and other folks that frequent this place.

Long days folks so sorry if I am rambling between toolpath cruches.