Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PRE SETUP V8.0 TO X8- my ?'s will sound very ignorant

bsander1027

Ok, so I read the guidelines now, after told to do so, I am hoping I am posting a topic correctly... The company I work for has had v8.0 before I started working here. I am good friends with my boss who is somewhat skilled on v8.0.   But there has been many problems ever since a major crash with both 8.0 and our 2 thermwood c40 91000 supercontrol 3-axis 4-toolholders. So, we purchased x8 after being told by the reseller that we could easily figure out everything to work properly with our machines. We were told to use caminstructor, which has come to no aid.  Anyways our usage of Mastercam is actually quite simple (2D); we import .dwg files, drag, mirror, chain, and post. Cut our plastic panels and send them off to paint. One main concern I have is before we had a workspace (1 quadrant stemming from the origin) on 8.0 that told us to program within specific boundaries so the panels would actually be cut, I cannot find how to set that up on x8. I am also wondering what else I would have to configure in order to properly run x8 with our machines.  Also I was wondering if anyone has any links to a valid tutorial on setting up our tools, parameters and stock through tool manager. Any help would greatly appreciated and I'm very sorry if this is not the correct forum, if so can you please direct me to where I can receive aid.

Many Thanks,

Brandon

ok so I have figured out that the same quadrant I was using in v8.0 is exactly the same in x8. clicking f9 only changes the look though. what im actually really in need of is a book that entirely explains each tool and its function. v8.0 to x8 is a huge jump which I understand and most of the functions that my company uses are mostly in a new location and have been renamed, ex. modify>drag is now xform dynamic. which after fooling around with; is actually pretty cool and user friendly like I expected, but if you don't know, you don't know. so if anyone knows of a great book to buy on x8 and its tool manager, I would really appreciate the reference.

thanks again,

brandon

Welcome Brandon,

If you have a sample part(s) and the machine(s) travels and where you like the origin, attach it to a posting (in here) and I can give you a template that should make the transition a little easier.

Brandon...I have found the tutorials they sell on this site to be very helpful. I went from zero to 5 axis and the tutorials are very useful. I usually get all applicable tutorials with each upgrade and go through them again. I always find something useful in them.  hope this helps

• Like 1

V8 to X8 is a huge jump.

I'll say. What was that, a 15 year jump?

There used to be a pdf in the documentation of early versions of the X series called something like "V9 to X Function Guide." It told you where to find V9 commands in the new X interface. I think you'd find that helpful if you can find it.

• Like 1

Welcome Brandon,

If you have a sample part(s) and the machine(s) travels and where you like the origin, attach it to a posting (in here) and I can give you a template that should make the transition a little easier.

awesome, thank you I will be talking to my boss as soon as he gets in, and get that info., I also feel one of my real problems is dealing with the 88 .pst files I have on v8.0's post folder, im guessing this is due to the crash I mentioned before.

On 9/24/2015 at 7:00 AM, jlw said:

So, are you upgrading to x9? I started with X8 and x9 is similar but the changes are to the toolpaths, naming really.

My reseller had a server with tutorials that came from cnc. You should get the same tutorials with your purchase.

my boss purchased x8 pretty much right before x9 came out because he was told it would cost another $2,000. our reseller only told us to additionally purchase <removed>.  it doesn't really help at all for what we are using MC for, although I was told  recently we will be getting a book in the mail to go along with our <removed>- online courses, but im not sure how much help that will be until I receive it next week. anyways I really wish our/every reseller would offer physical classes that I could attend, that would be the best help. but im also finding out that our reseller can come to us, which I think will have to be done in the long run.

Edited by DanielGingras
Competitor