Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Staying Organized

ahaslam

I recently pick up a new position as a programmer for several machine and a handful of machinist. I want to know if any one has recommendations for how to stay organized in a job shop. Specifically how to organize files and repeat jobs. I am open to any ideas.

Kinda open question but one suggestion I would make is pick someone that you trust to do a good job and limit access to the writing and storage of proven programs and documentation to that person and yourself. dont try and do it all yourself but dont let the whole shop drive it either, it can create chaos.

guess this could apply to tooling for repeat jobs as well, maybe appoint another person for that? keep them all involved and make sure they know their contributions count. buy in and ownership of the processes goes a long way.

in a nut shell

Doug

• Like 1

Make sure you analyze the flow of a job, from from the time it's approved to the time you tear down the machine. I don't program for all the machines we have, but my boss puts all the travellers for upcoming jobs into my inbox. This way I can analyze the jobs and determine what machine it would run best on, and if I can improve the process by moving it to a different machine. Most jobs then get filtered directly to the floor as they're look-up jobs and need no extra intervention. The others I program and order special tooling for. It's also important to keep in contact with the guys you program for, so you know if they run into trouble or the machine goes down and you need to move it to a different cell.

What does the process currently look like? I'm sure everyone has a system but it would be easier to make recommendations for your case as you describe it. Some companies use PDM software, others might have a mess of a 'file server' that is just a folder on a windows machine, and others are still using paper and folders. You have a lot of options but what you implement will probably depend on your level of competence with computers.

Specifically how to organize files and repeat jobs. I am open to any ideas.

Here is a file system convention i've seen used successfully

/
	$user
		/work-in-process
	//shared
		/customer
			/part number
				/revision level
					/docs
					/models
					/programs

What does the process currently look like? I'm sure everyone has a system but it would be easier to make recommendations for your case as you describe it. Some companies use PDM software, others might have a mess of a 'file server' that is just a folder on a windows machine, and others are still using paper and folders. You have a lot of options but what you implement will probably depend on your level of competence with computers.

Here is a file system convention i've seen used successfully

/
	$user
		/work-in-process
	//shared
		/customer
			/part number
				/revision level
					/docs
					/models
					/programs

+1

It's very helpful to have a standardized folder structure, especially as your programming department grows.

• Like 1

I recently pick up a new position as a programmer for several machine and a handful of machinist. I want to know if any one has recommendations for how to stay organized in a job shop. Specifically how to organize files and repeat jobs. I am open to any ideas.

I'm in a job shop, and the only Mcam user.

What I do is have 2 main folders, 1 for Mcam files and another for NC programs, and they are right on my desktop.

For Mcam files = cad files/Customer/Their customer/Part number/mcam file

For programs = nc programs/Customer/Their customer/part number/lathe or mill/program

This makes is a lot easier for me to locate any file.

Also when in Mcam and you click Open, you can alter the tree on the left column to have quick access to any folder you want.

Thanks guys, you have given me some good insight. The current flow is pretty bad, probably the worst I have ever seen. Quotes go to the owner, he quotes it with out the use of a CAM system (he actually does okay, but when he is off it is usually pretty bad) then sends it back. Once we get the job they come to me and usually this is the first time I get to see what we are doing. I order tools, program it and make setup information. The way it stands all setup sheets are hard copy only, all NC programs go to a mass inbox folder with the customer as a prefix, part number, then the op number as the file name. REV. is not documented on the NC file. They are ISO 9001 cert. How they keep it I really don't know. The programs are stored on the computer under a user's name then then the MCX with the same ID as the NC file, again with no REV. After the job hits the floor machinist look for tools (tool crib is more like the Ace hardware store with bins full of nuts, bolts, drills, ext.) and then load the program and go. We do have a QC, that's a plus. Aside from that it is basically no real pattern.

I am sure we can all see some very big flaws, the problem I am faced with is more that people are extremely resistance to change. Any ideas on that one?

like I said get them to buy in and own the processes.

when something goes sideways ask the people involved for solutions, listen, plan and then make suggestions combining and commending there idea's.

way too many ways to get things done in this business to have tunnel vision.

I do feel your pain, it will take time. meld with the masses.

I am sure we can all see some very big flaws, the problem I am faced with is more that people are extremely resistance to change. Any ideas on that one?

A financial incentive usually helps.

I think you will find the a perpetual temporary solution but hey everyone likes money.