Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Running Wood on Machining Centers

Sandybar

I've made several patterns out of wood on our Machining center (Mori Sieki) and the general question is does wood damage your Machine tool? The theory is that the wood dust get on the ways and soaks up oil, thus damaging the ways. Also the spindle bearings are also a question too.

Does anybody out there run wood on their Machining centers and still have good machine tool life?

Well if you are worried get a vacuum and run it next to the tool and will keep the dust out of everything. We run Ren and Model board here and no real probelm just have to keep checking your cooler fans and such is all. I take air conditoner filters and put in front of the electronics and helps that out but the New HAAS already thought of that for me.

Crazy Millman

I was running wood on a HAAS VF-3. We actually ran wood on two machining centers. We added a car filter to the top of the spindle to help with the dust. The dust soaking up the oil, to me, makes cleaning up a little easier. You will need to do routine maintenance. It is not very hard. If you have the means, buy a dust coolector system and all your problems will be minimal. You can also make a housing with shop-vac lines hooked to them stationed at the ends of your table to help pull the dust down and away. Takes a little brain power to set up, but still very doable.

Taylor Guitars has over 40 Fadals cutting wood 7days a week. Just routine cleaning takes care of them.

[ 12-02-2003, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Trevor Bailey, from Barefoot CNC ]

That's funny...Where I work, people ask if it's possible to run metal on our machine.

biggrin.gif

Our Heian is buried in sawdust 20hrs a day, 5 days a week. Going on 8 years.

Just take care of it. Use vacuum, clean up well, and clean your filters. As was said before, wood dust can be very flamable. I wouldn't machine wood in the middle of a metal shop without some major precautions.

Later