Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Large Parts Deburring / Tumbling

Dan Schnars

I am in the process of coming up with a better way to deburr / polish our cast iron cylinder blocks after machining. Right now our process involves about 6 hours of manual die grinding / cartridge roll work to deburr and polish every one of the parts as they come from machining to assembly. We are turning out about 6 parts a week and any process that can free up a slave... er... operator biggrin.gif is going to help production a ton. Basically the process entails removing any sharp edges the machine can't chamfer and polishing the casting's internal surfaces to remove any casting sand or slag that might work itself loose while the engine is running. I'm looking for ideas how anyone out there with similar parts would approach this. I'm leaning toward tumbling. Any critical surfaces can be plugged or covered. Parts weigh about 200 lbs. and roughly measure 10 x 17 x 21 inches. Your basic V-8 automotive cylinder block. Anyone with any experience with parts this size I would appreciate the input... Thanks in advance! cool.gif

Hi Dan,

I have never tumbled parts that big. I'm not a big fan of tumbling to begin with, but there is a reason for everything.

Try doing a search on the forum for brush deburring, maybe that will suit your purpose. It was covered not too long ago.

Rob

Thanks for the help... Checking out the brush deburring as well as tumbling... Not a huge tumbling fan either, but I'm more in favor of that than the way its getting done now... I've seen Extrude Honing on cylinder head and manifold ports before but I can't really apply it to this, I'm trying to get the outsides / surfaces deburred... I appreciate all the help! Thanks again! cool.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I use brush deburring in combination with chamfer/edgebreak. I have some parts that I programmed that only need to have the remainder of the tabs dynabraded off and they are ready for outside processing. I don't like to leave it to operators, too much inconsistency for my liking.

hello

Here is an idea just brain storming here. If you are machining new castings and not rebuilding. I am wondering if you could first just machine the oilpan face. Then have a manifold that bolts onto this face for the Extrude Honing material to be fed through. Then the block can be finish machined and at least the crankcase will be polished. This it purely hypothetical I do not know if the Extrude Honing would get into all the corners. Just throwing out an idea. smile.gif

Eric Salsman

I've been doing some homework on the extrude honing process and I'm not sure of the practicality of it for a piece this size with the equipment we've got... The brush deburring looks like it might work... Have to do some homework on that too... I've been running around here putting out fires here the last couple of days, sorry I haven't written back sooner...hopefully tomorrow I can do some looking... Appreciate the help!!! cheers.gif