Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Looking for new PC advice (Now O/T)

Racer X

Hey gang, this is my first post. Although, I have been reading the boards for a while now. Let me say thanks to all for some really good information as well as a bunch of laughs. You guys are great.

Anyway, here is my situation. I am fairly new to Mastercam (3 years) and have had no training on it whatsoever just what I have picked up in a few books. I have been able to do some pretty complicated injection molds with it however, both the design and construction. But, I know that there has to be easier ways to do them(I say this as my disclaimer when I ask what will probably be some pretty basic or stupid questions in the future).

So, here is my question. I am looking to build a new computer that will be my Mastercam station here at work. I have looked at just buying a system from Dell, Gateway, etc. but, they are overpriced for what they are. I can build much more machine for the same money. So I was wondering if anyone had any praise/complaints about specific hardware. I am a big AMD fan for flat out number crunching but am not opposed to Intel. Any Motherboards that work really well/conflict. How about Video cards? I would like to put in a 3d labs wildcat but not sure if it is necessary and a less expensive one will work good enough to allow me to put that extra money in processing power. Also, does anyone know if Version X will support multi processors?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers

cheers.gif

[ 12-12-2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: MotoGP ]

[begin_hijack]

MotoGP, kewl name.

Are you an enthusiest? I've got several lithographs of Doohan, Schwantz and Rainey. 1 is of the three of them in a curve, signed by all 3. (Rainey didn't sign it until after his accident) Another of just Rainey, signed. Cool stuff. I can't wait for Nickie to come of age. He's gonna be good.

[end_hijack]

'Rekd teh knee draggin' fool

I'm all over the hi-jacking of this thread! Yeah, Moto GP has become a great series, and it will be interesting to see Nicky next year...esp. with Rossi leaving Honda! Take a look at next season's rider list..

quote:

4. Alex Barros BRA Yamaha Fortuna Yamaha Team

6. Makoto Tamada JPN Honda Camel Pramac Honda Pons

7. Carlos Checa SPA Yamaha Gauloises Yamaha Team

9. Nobuatsu Aoki JPN Proton KR Proton Team KR

10. Kenny Roberts USA Suzuki Suzuki Grand Prix Team

11. Ruben Xaus SPA Ducati D'Antin MotoGP

12. Troy Bayliss AUS Ducati Ducati Marlboro Team

15. Sete Gibernau SPA Honda Telefonica Movistar Honda

21. John Hopkins USA Suzuki Suzuki Grand Prix Team

33. Marco Melandri ITA Yamaha Fortuna Yamaha Team

45. Colin Edwards USA Honda Telefonica Movistar Honda

46. Valentino Rossi ITA Yamaha Gauloises Yamaha Team

56. Shinya Nakano JPN Kawasaki Kawasaki Racing Team

65. Loris Capirossi ITA Ducati Ducati Marlboro Team

66. Alex Hofmann GER Kawasaki Kawasaki Racing Team

67. Shane Byrne GBR Aprilia Aprilia Racing

69. Nicky Hayden USA Honda Repsol Honda

80. Kurtis Roberts USA Proton KR Proton Team KR

Jeremy McWilliams GBR Aprilia Aprilia Racing

Oh, yeah..the Gforce 5600 card I feel is the ticket...as well as good quality and quantity of RAM. 1 gig, pc 3200, etc... cheers.gif

I have to be a Colin fan also. Especially now that he is sponsored by Smith Sport Optics. I make the molds for their goggles. I like seeing that S on his visor. However, I really have a thing for those Ducati's. Gonna have to trade in my 996 for the homologated desmocedici next year.

[ 12-12-2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: MotoGP ]

Sorry for the complete hi-jack biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif , but certainly glad to see all the 2-wheel race fans out there. Gotta love Colin on them dam Aprilla cubes'. Nicky is going to give Rossi a serious run as Honda vs. Yamaha. Now that the WSB has become the 'Ducati Cup' (via declaring Pirelli as the only tire), the battles of supreme rider and technolgy are going to be leveled in Moto GP...sorry to see the end of the V-Twins though. frown.gif