Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

probing on bridgemill with RH angle head

I am not sure if I am over thinking this or not but hopefully someone can point out the obvious to me.  We have a new Bridgemill with fanuc control and renshaw probing.  I get the normal probing for the the top  xyz in g54. But where I am stumped is what do I have to do for the RH angle head when I do the side holes/milling.  If I probe the back left top corner for the top work, Do I have to do anything different for the sides? The z wants to go to deep on the side work and the only way I can get it to work is to edge find with the RH angle Head on and store in the G55 Z. And the difference between the 2 numbers is not equal to the head length. Ans support from the manufacture is basically zero.

thanks

Did the software have 2 Cycles for probing? I have used the Renishaw stuff on a Integrex and it had one setup Macros for that and then another set of Macros for B90/B180. The math and Logic is not the same for B0 and B90 and you need to see what the documentation says about the correct Macros to be using for your application. Might also want to think about a location to set a sphere on to check things are you are going through your probing process. Like a CMM you want to have that Sphere to go back and check the different angles you are doing. A star probe has limited range and depending of the part will only get you so far. Getting it set up and done correctly will help you use the system to it's full potential. Might have to wait till net week to get all your answers answered, but hopefully this will help point you in the correct direction.

What kind of bridgemill? What control? I know the standard Renishaw inspection plus macros use a lot of machine positions for calcs so you can't use them with a tiled plane command because they do not map the values to the correct axis. In Okuma bridgemills we use the Okuma gauging software for that reason. 

In theory probing using an attachment should be accurate if you are only measuring distances between features, width, diameters... unless the shifts of your attachment are bloody accurate... even though hard to rely since they are also prone to thermal expansion, torsion... That is, it´s unlikely it will be reliable if you are after a value that is being measured directly from a workshift...

That being said, if your feature is not excessively accurate, in theory you could measure a reference using the probe in regular scenario, store the value in a variable, load the attachment, measure the distance from the reference you picked to some other feature, sum up the value you had in that variable with the value you found using the attachment... that should get you close... but again, it depends on a lot of stuff, specially the geometry of the machine and the attachment.

Keep in mind when you use such method, you´re basically accumulating errors in each measurement... In the end, your product tolerance will define how much error is tolerable...

I came back to this topic many times and was not even going to bother.

How could I have worded what I originally said differently to help you understand?

I appreciate your input and apologize for not responding directly to your comment.  I do not have time to be on here daily and barely get time to sneak in in between everything else I have going on lately. I meant it as more of a general Ill look  it. Which I still have not had a chance to do yet. thanks again for any and all input.

I appreciate your input and apologize for not responding directly to your comment.  I do not have time to be on here daily and barely get time to sneak in in between everything else I have going on lately. I meant it as more of a general Ill look  it. Which I still have not had a chance to do yet. thanks again for any and all input.

No worries I have some Vericut sessions that are going for days and toolpaths that can take 2 to 6 hours to crunch. I get over to my other computer and bog it down so I sometimes have more time that others to come to the forum. Working from home sometimes helps, but when on site I normally don't come to the forum.