Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Full Functionality of ActiveReports?

Hello,

Does the built-in ActiveReports in Mastercam X9 have full functionality of the version I see from GrapeCity on the web? I see an $800 standard edition as well as the $1600 professional edition with a 1000 page user guide for ActiveReports version 9 while not seeing to much in the Mastercam help. Does the Mastercam version allow VB.Net as when I hit the script tab, C# syntax shows up. If so, how do I use VB? Is it just the scripting language that can be used or do I have the full blown VB.Net at my disposal? I've invested time in Visual Studio/VB.Net as well as XML and wonder if it's worth bringing in the XML output from Mastercam into an ActiveReports application from outside Mastercam and being able to create detailed setup sheets with no limits?  

Thanks, JCDFCM

Hi JCDFCM,

We ship the professional level of Active-reports version 9 so you should have access to everything a user can access, obliviously not the active-report assemblies directly for application development.

You can access VB.NET from the properties tool window within our designer. You can import any .NET namespace within the script. I have attached a simple PDF document that shows you some basic scripting.

Hello,

Does the built-in ActiveReports in Mastercam X9 have full functionality of the version I see from GrapeCity on the web? I see an $800 standard edition as well as the $1600 professional edition with a 1000 page user guide for ActiveReports version 9 while not seeing to much in the Mastercam help. Does the Mastercam version allow VB.Net as when I hit the script tab, C# syntax shows up. If so, how do I use VB? Is it just the scripting language that can be used or do I have the full blown VB.Net at my disposal? I've invested time in Visual Studio/VB.Net as well as XML and wonder if it's worth bringing in the XML output from Mastercam into an ActiveReports application from outside Mastercam and being able to create detailed setup sheets with no limits?  

Thanks, JCDFCM

post-4901-0-54570600-1451582892_thumb.png

tutorialx9-active-reports-scripting.pdf

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the quick response. This is what I was looking for. So I could include an Imports System.XML.XPath statement at the beginning of my script and utilize XPath statements to search and modify the nodes in the generated XML file from Mastercam? I had planned on entering extra information in the fields of tools in tool manager and had hoped to be able to extract portions of the XML node (or tag) output and assign to a variable that can be used in the text property of a textbox controls. Would be sweet if that could be done.

Happy New Year,

JCDFCM

Here is the Version 9 Documentation.  http://arhelp.grapecity.com/webhelp/PDF/ActiveReports9.pdf

Hmmmm, it says that it can export reports to .doc format.

I thought X9 could only save as pdf/rtf/html etc, but no DOC???

And down a couple of pages, it states Word Export - Export documents in docx format?

So what am I missing???

And sorry for the hijak.

We do have a story in our backlog to upgrade to Activereports v10 and when we do that we will implement the additional exporters. At this time I can't promise anything for the next release of Mastercam but possibly a future update of the next release.

It'd be nice if you can include an option to dump that XML file somewhere or pass it as a parameter to a non-AR application (without running AR)

By default the generated XML file is written to your C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcam#\common\reports\XML folder. You could create a NET-Hook or Script to move or pass the XML file as a parameter to another program after it has been created. I do something similar with ATP where I cache the XML file after it has been created by Mastercam and write a new XML file to disk at another location with additional information added.

It'd be nice if you can include an option to dump that XML file somewhere or pass it as a parameter to a non-AR application

We do have a story in our backlog to upgrade to Activereports v10 and when we do that we will implement the additional exporters. At this time I can't promise anything for the next release of Mastercam but possibly a future update of the next release.

OK thanks for the update. It would also be nice to have a few more pre-done setup sheet options for those of us who aren't computer programmers. While I would love to learn active reports really well, I'm stuck with the default template because I don't have the time to learn it, and without the ability to modify it once its generated I have to look to a different option.

OK thanks for the update. It would also be nice to have a few more pre-done setup sheet options for those of us who aren't computer programmers. While I would love to learn active reports really well, I'm stuck with the default template because I don't have the time to learn it, and without the ability to modify it once its generated I have to look to a different option.

I released a free template in this thread. If you request changes in the thread I will make them as I have time.