Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating a solid of a hobbed gear

justchips

kind of unspecific but:

Create circle.

Create gear profile around circle

create helix (if needed for twist)

If no twist extrude profile and circle and then to boolean to add or subtract to part.

If using twist, create swept solid of profile and circle and then to boolean to add or subtract to part.

• Like 1

Our problem is we have a solid of the hobb and need a total boolean subtract from the gear blank that would simulate the profile. This PROFILE IS NOT JUST A CIRCLE! It has two flats at the top !

lol. How are we supposed to know what the part looks like?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The circle was just an example. Make it whatever shape you like.  Like I said. Your post was not very specific.

:guitar:

Is there a way to trade my guitar for a banjo?

lol. How are we supposed to know what the part looks like?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The circle was just an example. Make it whatever shape you like.  Like I said. Your post was not very specific.

Watch it they will consider you mean like me for asking for more information. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

• Like 1

Hard to tell exactly what you have here but I would create a profile of one tooth of the hob and rotate it about the centerline of the hob several small angular increments. Then rotate those copies about the centerline of the gear blank.

Then connect the copies with a surface.  Of course you need to have the info about hobbing the gear to get the correct ratio, center distance, angles and so forth.

Hard to tell exactly what you have here but I would create a profile of one tooth of the hob and rotate it about the centerline of the hob several small angular increments. Then rotate those copies about the centerline of the gear blank.

Then connect the copies with a surface.  Of course you need to have the info about hobbing the gear to get the correct ratio, center distance, angles and so forth.

yes this is what im doing see picture above BUT i cant get any software to connect the surface of say 40 different hob rotations. ProE Solidworks anything. I thought maybe someone could piont out something I was missing. We are trying to replicate the TRUE form of a hoed gear on a five axis machine with a lollipop mill about .030 dia. We are very close just trying to figure out a way to get more resolution of model "TRUE FORM"!

So the capitols freaked you out? Taper length understands how a hobbing machine works! 

Just out of curiosity, a sweep cut won't give what you want to cut?

Can you share the profile of the job? I have never had anything that I couldn't model. Some stuff took a while to figure out occasionally but I've always got the end result.

• Like 1

Ron can you put me in contact with any mean people that could do this VERICUT job?  Does anyone know what kind of file vericut outputs?

Yes I can put you in touch with a couple different people and it will output a limited amount of file types. You must enable the output to external file option in the options to get what they consider a solid. Can you at least put of the specifics of the gear you are trying to make?

Here is a gear made from surfaces and then converted to a solid. I used swept as my process and use the inside surface as my surface to control the sweeping motion of the gear. Solids in Mastercam use to be able to make these types of shapes, but something is broken IMHO. Sure wish John Summers was still coming around. The smartest gear person I know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8nman135v0gzeg/5th%20Axis%20Solid%20Gear.mcx-9?dl=0

Justchips hope you don't mind me sharing information about the issue you were running into. Very unique part he is doing here. The issue he was running into was the shape for the Boolean remove was not a closed core shape it was closed swirl straw collapsed onto itself to the inside. It was not defined enough to remove that from the solid shape he was trying to remove it from to make the gear. I suggested he close the shape and try it again and I think the error will go away.

Justchips hope you don't mind me sharing information about the issue you were running into. Very unique part he is doing here. The issue he was running into was the shape for the Boolean remove was not a closed core shape it was closed swirl straw collapsed onto itself to the inside. It was not defined enough to remove that from the solid shape he was trying to remove it from to make the gear. I suggested he close the shape and try it again and I think the error will go away.

edit: i rebuilt the geometry all over with a solid core and it seems to be doing more than 3 not sure what kind of resolution would be needed to make the gear be smooth while also remaining low backlash. THANKS AGAIN RON