Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Total post editing newb, wants to learn

Id love to learn a few things, just the simple stuff for now so I can customize posts to my liking.  Lets start with Lathe, right now Im using the generic post on a Haas  SL-20, but theres a couple of things Id like to change.  

How do I get rid of the U0. V0. W0. on the G28 line?

Ill have more questions about mill later.

Thanks

• Like 1

Id love to learn a few things, just the simple stuff for now so I can customize posts to my liking.  Lets start with Lathe, right now Im using the generic post on a Haas  SL-20, but theres a couple of things Id like to change.  

How do I get rid of the U0. V0. W0. on the G28 line?

*********Always back up your post before making any changes**********

Not sure why you want to get rid of all of those... seems to me you need the U0 W0... but... search G28 and keep searching forward until you see this line:

pbld, n$, *sg28ref, "U0.", "W0.", e$

There will be two of them you have to change so after editing the first line like this... search again until you find the second line.

Delete the code you don't want between the commas.

*********Always back up your post before making any changes**********

Not sure why you want to get rid of all of those... seems to me you need the U0 W0... but... search G28 and keep searching forward until you see this line:

pbld, n$, *sg28ref, "U0.", "W0.", e$

There will be two of them you have to change so after editing the first line like this... search again until you find the second line.

Delete the code you don't want between the commas.

The Haas doesnt like it, I have to delete them every time I post something.  Thank you!

What I typed is what you can use for your block.  Note that what I typed is indented.  Add this line in where you want the coolant to activate.  Then you can get rid of the existing scoolant.  The 47 is an ASCII and will cause the post to output the "/" character.

OK, if I understand correctly everywhere where theres and scoolant, e$ I should put a 47 in front?  Because scoolant is on more than 1 location.

Yes, only if you always want the "/".  But this could cause a problem, if there is no change in the coolant output you would still get the "/".  I would only do it at the tool change and null tool change postblocks.  Another way that might work:

sm08    : "/M8"      #Coolant Flood

• Like 1

Yes, only if you always want the "/".  But this could cause a problem, if there is no change in the coolant output you would still get the "/".  I would only do it at the tool change and null tool change postblocks.  Another way that might work:

sm08    : "/M8"      #Coolant Flood

Ok, I think Ill try your 2nd option 1st and see what it does, thanks!

Exactly....

I am mixed on using it or not. i do like the ability to turn on more than one at once. Can't do that with the old style

Sure you can...

Just have to do some post edit juggling but you can

I still prefer the old style as opposed to new X style, tying in into canned text is in my opinion a mistake. 

If you ever have to go in and rearrange positions on canned text you then many times end up moving your coolant output locations.....

Coolant should have it's own command calls for the greatest flexibility.

However, I digress...back On Topic 

Exactly....

I am mixed on using it or not. i do like the ability to turn on more than one at once. Can't do that with the old style

pcoolanton
      if machine <> 800,
        [
        if coolant$ = 1,
          [
          sm08, e$
          sm08_2, e$
          ]
        if coolant$ = 2,
          [
          sm08, e$
          sm08_1, e$
          sm08_2, e$
          ]
        if coolant$ = 3, sm08_2, e$
        ]
      if machine = 800,
        [
        if coolant$ = 1,
          [
          sm08, e$
          sm08_2, e$
          sm08_3, e$
          ]
        if coolant$ = 2,
          [
          sm08_1, e$
          sm08_3, e$
          ]
        if coolant$ = 3,
          [
          sm08, e$
          sm08_1, e$
          sm08_2, e$
          sm08_3, e$
          ]
        ]

pcoolantoff
      if (machine = 60 & t$ <> 59) | (machine = 80 | machine = 480 & t$ <> 4),
        [
          if coolant$ = 1,
            [
            sm09_0, e$
            sm09_2, e$
            ]
          if coolant$ = 2,
            [
            sm09_0, e$
            sm09_1, e$
            sm09_2, e$
            ]
          if coolant$ = 3, sm09_2, e$
        ]
      else, if (machine = 800 & t$ <> 4), sm09_0, e$

I realize that it can be done relatively easily using post tricks, turning more than one on at once. OK, how about on one tool I want just thru tool? and the next tool I want thru tool and flood and air blow? (not saying that ever happens but you get the idea)

The example above turns on the flood whenever the thru tool is turned on. Nothing wrong with that at all.....but doesn't give the level of control you can get with cantext. Plus we have one machine that has flood, thru coolant, thru spindle air, and lets call it a air flood. So 4 control codes.

I was very hesitant to implement X style on some of our machines. And am still mixed on it. For now tho...it works. 

You've pointed out the exact reasons why X-Style Coolant is the preferred method for using "multiple coolant" options. You don't have to do any "post work", besides editing the String Select Table for the specific "on/off" coolant commands. It is about as easy as you can get for controlling different coolant outputs, with minimal effort.

Yes, you can make "old style coolant" work, with different on/off codes for each option (if you know how to edit a post). The thing you are not going to be able to overcome though is that "old style" coolant only supports 3 coolant options.

I recommend everyone migrate over to using X-Style Coolant, just because it is more flexible (10 on/off coolant types).

The one issue that can really be a pain though is having different "coolant default" options set in your Operation Defaults. There is a trick where you open your Operation Defaults file, as a "MCX" file, and do a "replace" on the Machine Definition. Since the Operation Defaults file is really just a Mastercam file with a different extension, you can then go through each of the Default Operation Types, and set the desired Coolant Default on a per-operation basis...

The "coolant method" is controlled by a setting in the Machine Definition Manager - General Machine Parameters dialog box.

On the "Coolant" Tab, there is a checkbox for "support coolant using coolant value in post-processor (provides backwards compatibility for old posts).

That check box (when enabled) turns on "V9 - Style" coolant (old coolant options). Having the check box disabled, turns on "X-Style Coolant".

If you turn on the Check Box, you will see that Coolant Options 4-10 are now disabled. When you uncheck the box, the 7 other options turn "back on".

In addition, if you turn off the first check box, there is an addition setting: "First coolant off command shuts off ALL coolant options". Turn that OFF, unless you have a single M-Code that shuts off ALL coolant types.

OK, Looks like learning is going to be FUN!!(sarcasm) LOL  I edited ONLY what was sugested to me on this post and I got this

N100 G20
(TOOL - 6 OFFSET - 6)
(SPOT TOOL  .25 DIA.)
N110 G0 T0606
N120 G18
N130 G97 S55 M03
N140 G0 G54 X0. Z.25 M8
CUSTOMIZABLE DRILL CYCLE  X0. Y0. Z-.1
N150 M9
N160 G28 U0. V0. W0. M05
N170 T0600
N180 M01