Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiaxis Toolpaths...help

javi11

Good morning everyone,

So the company I work for just got into machining huge billets with complicated surfaces and high precision tolerances and my boss put me up to the task and asked me to machine these billets. My concern is that I have ran 4 axis and everything is pretty smooth on a 4 axis horizontal but then when I get into machining with true 5 axis toolpaths or even 4 axis but on a huge 5 axis machine things begin to get complicated for myself. My goal is to figure out the multiaxis toolpaths MSurf, Port, and all of the toolpaths that are under the Surface / Solid section. Any clue where I can find a book or videos that shows me how to use these toolpaths?

Best Regards

I really doubt it, just because the company does not really like to spend money so everything that I have learned is coming out of my pocket meaning buying books or videos. Also, I think it would be pretty neat if I learn it on my own and just show up to the company to show my boss what I can do and really impress them.

What you're asking for is a tall order. Without getting training from your reseller that is specific to what you need your boss is throwing away money. Best we could do here is make suggestions on how we would approach it but we would need to see the part. 

I really doubt it, just because the company does not really like to spend money so everything that I have learned is coming out of my pocket meaning buying books or videos. Also, I think it would be pretty neat if I learn it on my own and just show up to the company to show my boss what I can do and really impress them.

Yes what keep us in business is management teams that don't value training and equipping it's employees to do the best job possible. Best of luck and hate to say trail by fire is the best teacher, but don't be afraid to take chances. You are going to make mistakes and you are going to be humbled, but keep trying and pushing you will grow doing it.

• Like 1

1. www.tipsformaufacturing.com they have some good videos on cd-rom  and its not to costly about (175. each)since you have to pay for it your self, .  and I agree I would update my resume and start posting if you are put in these kind of positions and they are not willing to educate you , which would only make them more money in the long run... I hate seeing that

Ive had people show me how things work in MC many times, Id ask questions on how a toolpath works or WCS or this or that, but the only way I truly ever learned anything was by getting in there and trying it myself, it helps when people put ideas in you head even if you dont get it.  Just sit in front of the computer and start trying things, you'd be surprised how quickly you learn.  

I just joined EMastercam a few months ago, and I have learned so much from just reading posts, I even read posts that have absolutely nothing to do with what Im doing, I read posts with questions about 5 axis and about y axis lathes, and I have neither in my shop, and probably never will, but through the conversations much more experienced people have on the forum Ive learned things that help me.

Just read any post you can, go back a few pages and read. 

• Like 2

JAWI11

WELCOME TO THE CLUB,I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM , I would like to start doing something on   5 axis but  I can not find any good videos or books .My re seller said that maybe will help me in the shop working with my on part ,but for now we do not have any typical job for 5 axis ,and the second problem is that we do not have purchased a license for 5 axis.I can not say  to the  boss ,  To close all shop   just for me  buy  licenses      because i wants to call for my reseller and play on 5 axis part .I think   I stuck , and when I have something on indexer running on    I   , rotate and use surfaces toolpath :no

yea it's a difficult situation. I have bought books and learned and I have also bought 2 disc from tips for manufacturing and they have helped me but I haven't found a youtube video, a cd or a book that goes into detail on the surface/solid toolpath applications. I understand how the flow and swarf and holes work also the high speed machining, by the way another set of cds and books that I purchased to figure out how to do high speed machining, but I am trying to break my comfort shelter and just the more so called "basic" multiaxis toolpaths and do more complex operations.