Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Zero length line warnings

Racer X

Whenever I import an .iges file, mastercam gives me "Warning! Zero length line." alarms that I have to acknowledge by pressing enter or clicking OK. It is really annoying especially on a large file. There have been times that literally more than 100 times I have had to acknowledge them. I have asked my dealer how to bypass this, and was told it is just something that just happens and there is no avoiding it. Is this true? It seems that if it is a zero length line or arc it should just ignore it and blow right past it. Anyone have any ideas?

I asked this same question before, and this is what I got:

Setting the tolerance lower will give you less of these warnings. Another option would be to no longer convert IGES files. These are typically the worst types of files you could convert with Mastercam. What is the source CAD system you are receiving these files from? The best conversion would be the native format file from that CAD source. For example, a (.prt) file from Pro-E or a (.SLDPRT) file from SolidWorks. Mastercam has many built-in converters. Only a couple would actually require an added license to convert (Pro-E and STEP

Hold down the enter button while MC is importing the file instead of waiting for the msgs to come up and then pressing enter biggrin.gif try the tolorences like jammer said. You might still get them though.

I'm assuming since you're using iges as your file type that these are surface models. Get whoever you're getting them from to save the models without geometry.

[ 12-31-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Good Day,

In the IGES Dialog box there is a selection

" Send errors to : "

Check "file " and uncheck " Screen "

and you will not see this error biggrin.gif

HTH

Tony G

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

--------------------------------------------------

In the IGES Dialog box there is a selection

" Send errors to : "Check "file " and uncheck " Screen "

Thanks! I will try this.

I agree with .iges translation. However, I have so many different customers sending me things from different softwares and from all over the world. I have gone back and forth in the past with some to have them export things in a way that make my life easier. But, I don't feel comfortable telling them that the problems are on their end (like they are many times but the customer is always right. Right?). I just try to deal with it. The design houses that I get most of my files from are very good now and I get things either .sldprt or .step and both of these work really well.

I appreciate the help.

Good Day,

I also agree IGES is old...but most cam's

support it, and I have noticed the IGES'S

are a little cleaner than a few years ago

glad I can help cheers.gifcheers.gif

Tony G

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

--------------------------------------------------

quote:

...... IGES files. These are typically the worst types of files you could convert with Mastercam.

+1

Sometimes I'm forced to work with .Iges I have a dificult time getting a wireframe. When it brings in just surfaces, I try to make my wireframe, It take me forever to clean up the geometry. confused.gif

I'm using SW, I bring my files direct to MC.

Sometimes I do have to use .iges though.

Chip if you are using solid works why would you have to bring te file in as a Igs?

You can import straght from SW.

quote:

For example, a (.prt) file from Pro-E or a (.SLDPRT) file from SolidWorks.

Jammer just so you know (.prt) can eather be Pro-E or UG files.

I found that if it is a (.prt4)basiclly a file format ,PRT with a # come from Pro-E now a days.

1: Set all the tolerances as tight as you can.

2: Ask the one who is exporting the IGES to turn off the curve output.

If you build a solid model with loose tolerance and export an IGES, the surfaces will have all kinds of gaps.

If you build a solid from lines and arcs and set your tolerances as tight as your hardware will allow, you will export a nice tight IGES.

If you use splines in building a solid, tolerances are very important, IMHO.

Murlin