Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Blanchard grind quote

i'm guessing the labor is in the free stating and the fact you need to be super careful to cleanup .030+ out of flat plates with only .050-.070 to go after kissing.

i'm still surprised at the price.

face milling is looking better all the time.

TCI: quote on the spot. Nice.

I must re-calibrate my grind-o-meter. They're all coming in the same.

CNC option: stack 15 plates in a pair of vises to cut the 6" width, both sides parallel.

lay down in vice clamping on 6" width and face mill flat under .005".

can we do better than $25 ea?

We have a 6 ft diameter blanchard. If I were doing them I think it would take me at least  4-5 days for batch of 100. Takes a lot of time to clean parts off and the table and deburr and check for flatness. I'd say $25 each is a bargain. Of course someone with a bigger blanchard could do better.

• Like 1

Yes, I highly considered that. One thing is the customer doesn't want to submit a change in their process from milling to grind. Customer is trying to get me to buy a machine from one of their vendors that is retiring. Buying the old cnc is just as expensive as sending this job out to grind. Pretty tempting to have a paid off machine after one job. Plus possible old work from other vendor.

We'll see if anything comes of it all.

• Like 2

We have a 6 ft diameter blanchard. If I were doing them I think it would take me at least  4-5 days for batch of 100. Takes a lot of time to clean parts off and the table and deburr and check for flatness. I'd say $25 each is a bargain. Of course someone with a bigger blanchard could do better.

How many doobs were you gonna burn in that time?

I'd expect to do that job in a few hours on a 36" machine.

.005 isn't all that close but I def think maintaing free state flatness adds some cost. They aren't going to just suck them down on the magnet and not have them spring back. I'd be surprised if they weren't planning to at least dust side 1 and clean up side 2.

We have a small Blanchard in house but most production plate work I buy the plate from an outfit that dupplies the material and does flame cut/stress relieve and blanch. I just give them the final specs.