Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

False collision reports in verify

I've been having an intermittent issue in verify with X9, and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and had figured out a solution.

Most often, I am having the false collision reports when verifying a plunge cut. It looks like the tool is stepping to the next move, but the material that should be cut is not removed as the tool steps through. So it will then register a collision with the shank/shoulder of the tool. I can see that the material is still there that should have been cut off, and a few seconds later the material disappears and it shows the cut as it should be, but not until after it has registered a collision. Does not show even a speck of red anywhere after the cut material is removed from the model. I know it's not an issue with the program; these are super simple cuts it is happening with. Plunge cutting with about 10% of the cutter diameter, and tapering away from the wall being cut at 1 degree. I've run several programs where mastercam showed a "collision", and there is none. No galling on the shank, not a peep or chirp while cutting whatsoever. It definitely looks like a software issue to me.

Any thoughts?

EDIT - Worth noting that it does *not "collide" at the same point every time I run verify.

Try closing down Mastercam completely as well and reopening. I have ran into the same scenario on less than desirable Mastercam computers. Opening back up fixed it for me, a few times.

Also make sure your tool path doesn't leave a small floating chip, it will stay and on the retract it can cause a collision. Even if its a pixel sized piece of material left behind. 

No, my computer sucks. I'd have to leave it for an hour to verify a part with precision all the way up. But I will try turning it down more to see if that affects the frequency of the false reports. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just theory but am thinking turning precision up actually helps limit false reports?

I have run into this time to time. we call it space dust, little false fragments left in graphics area?? IDK.

dont want to ad to your frustration but Vericut is the ultimate solution to this.

sounds to me by your low end system this is not going to be an option $$$ wise.

frustrating when company's trip over dollars to save penny's. I feel your pain

I've been having an intermittent issue in verify with X9, and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and had figured out a solution.

Most often, I am having the false collision reports when verifying a plunge cut. It looks like the tool is stepping to the next move, but the material that should be cut is not removed as the tool steps through. So it will then register a collision with the shank/shoulder of the tool. I can see that the material is still there that should have been cut off, and a few seconds later the material disappears and it shows the cut as it should be, but not until after it has registered a collision. Does not show even a speck of red anywhere after the cut material is removed from the model. I know it's not an issue with the program; these are super simple cuts it is happening with. Plunge cutting with about 10% of the cutter diameter, and tapering away from the wall being cut at 1 degree. I've run several programs where mastercam showed a "collision", and there is none. No galling on the shank, not a peep or chirp while cutting whatsoever. It definitely looks like a software issue to me.

Any thoughts?

EDIT - Worth noting that it does *not "collide" at the same point every time I run verify.

Have you tried unchecking Shank in the Collision checking drop down

This is not an ideal solution, but if you are confident the tool paths are good, it should eliminate the false collision reports 

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried unchecking Shank in the Collision checking drop down

This is not an ideal solution, but if you are confident the tool paths are good, it should eliminate the false collision reports 

Good idea. I know it's not going to shank out with the cutters I typically use, especially with the 1 degree taper. And it is almost always the shank it has a "collision" with.

It's not dangling dust or chips... if I watch really close it looks like it's colliding with the material that is being cut. Hard to explain what I'm seeing, but the cutter goes to the endpoint of the move before the cut material disappears, and the material where it is registering the collision has this weird, almost fractal appearance for like half a second before it disappears.

"Just theory but am thinking turning precision up actually helps limit false reports?

I have run into this time to time. we call it space dust, little false fragments left in graphics area?? IDK.

dont want to ad to your frustration but Vericut is the ultimate solution to this.

sounds to me by your low end system this is not going to be an option $$$ wise.

frustrating when company's trip over dollars to save penny's. I feel your pain"

They're actually not too bad about buying us whatever tooling we want. We're about to go through and standardize our resident tools on the horizontal mill cells. TBH though, with most of what we make here, I could get away with writing a few macro programs for each machine and calling it good... if our engineer would standardize features in part families rather than just winging it every time. But then I'd be out of a job.