Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

odd cut patterns

ch3no2freak

Not sure if this goes here so if it doesnt then I apologize.

I use mastercam 9.1 to design vinyl decals. For some reason though when I design something on mastercam and send it to my machine it makes cuts all over the place and constantly starts and stops on the same line. Is there something I'm not doing correctly when I finish my designs? Thank you for any help in answering this question I have. Still pretty new to all of this

• Like 2

There's 157 Arcs... looks clean so far.

I did a contour toolpath on it and everything looks as I would expect it. There are only the number of pickups as there are individual contours (7)

I would say most likely you don't have a setting right.

I bet when you export as DXF it writes the entities in creation order or database order rather than any geometric order.

No doubt, as it would not know what "geometric order" could/should be. They're just a collection of random geometry entities.

Let me get this straight...

You're just sending out the geometry data you've created in Mastercam as a DXF file, and that is what's sent to your machine?

Or are you creating an actual toolpath in Mastercam?

By creating a toolpath, you would be setting your desired cut-order.

If we now need a DXF file "in that order" we'd need to extract the geometries referenced in the chains (in their chained order), then write them out in that order.

*That's where it could get a bit tricky.*  I’m thinking of a couple possible solutions

It would require using a NET-Hook or C-Hook Add-In to “re-process” the geometry.

• Like 1

ch3no2freak,
I haven't tried it and it is just a shot in the dark, (and may be more work than it is worth), but for now, what if you toolpath the geometry with no comp. (i.e. center of the tool on the geometry), backplot and save the toolpath to a level. Delete any un-needed geometry, retracts rapids etc., then save THAT geometry to a DXF file.

• Like 1

No doubt, as it would not know what "geometric order" could/should be. They're just a collection of random geometry entities.

Let me get this straight...

You're just sending out the geometry data you've created in Mastercam as a DXF file, and that is what's sent to your machine?

Or are you creating an actual toolpath in Mastercam?

By creating a toolpath, you would be setting your desired cut-order.

If we now need a DXF file "in that order" we'd need to extract the geometries referenced in the chains (in their chained order), then write them out in that order.

*That's where it could get a bit tricky.*  I’m thinking of a couple possible solutions

It would require using a NET-Hook or C-Hook Add-In to “re-process” the geometry.

You are correct, I am sending out data I've created in mastercam as a .dxf file for my vinyl cutter to read. I am not putting toolpath on in master cam.