Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Indexable drill on lathe

Rocketmachinist

I am giving my first try to use an indexable drill as a drill and boring bar. This is the drill I am using http://www.mitsubishicarbide.net/mmus/enus/drilling/10000761/20079347. I don't see anything about max drill diameter. How much over do you think I can go.

Also I don't see a way to use a normal drill cycle to do this so the only way I can figure to do this in Mastercam is to draw a line at the diameter that I want to drill at, then use a finishing toolpath with no retracts to make it go strait in and strait out.

Any examples would be awesome.

I am giving my first try to use an indexable drill as a drill and boring bar. This is the drill I am using http://www.mitsubishicarbide.net/mmus/enus/drilling/10000761/20079347. I don't see anything about max drill diameter. How much over do you think I can go.

Also I don't see a way to use a normal drill cycle to do this so the only way I can figure to do this in Mastercam is to draw a line at the diameter that I want to drill at, then use a finishing toolpath with no retracts to make it go strait in and strait out.

I used to do this a lot with Sandvik insert drills

Back then, I'd just post a standard drill cycle, then hand edit the X0 to the desired offset value.

I wonder what the output would be it you drew your drill point at the desired X offset, and selected that.

if it just a straight bore, you can use a regular lathe drill cycle.  Just put in the radius you want to drill at as the "X" position for the drill point on the lathe drill parameter page.  

I was always told 2/3 of the insert edge is the max DOC for an insert.  On an indexable drill, that is a pretty big stepover, so do what makes sense to you.  I took a .200 DOC with a 1-3/4" dia drill in aluminum the other day and it worked great.

Remember, if you do boring with a drill, the setup guy is going to set the offset as a drill, so you need to account for that in any boring part of the program.

Put your x in the drill point x value in the drilling cycle

/hijack on

Just to mention to people that haven't used these drills: We recently bought 3 of these babies and I'm REALLY impressed with them!

Price is a LOT cheaper and the performance is outstanding.If anyone is in the market for a new indexable, look at these.

http://www.alliedmachine.com/productFamily.aspx?fid=18

I got them from Carbide Depot. The 2-4" -2.6" drill was about $650!!!  Much better and cheaper than the Sandvik drills we've been using for the last decade or so.

/hijack off   :scooter:

• Like 1

/hijack on

Just to mention to people that haven't used these drills: We recently bought 3 of these babies and I'm REALLY impressed with them!

Price is a LOT cheaper and the performance is outstanding.If anyone is in the market for a new indexable, look at these.

http://www.alliedmachine.com/productFamily.aspx?fid=18

I got them from Carbide Depot. The 2-4" -2.6" drill was about $650!!!  Much better and cheaper than the Sandvik drills we've been using for the last decade or so.

/hijack off   :scooter:

these are outstanding drills

several years ago I had to drill several thousand Ø3.5" holes thru 4" of steel plate

I ran them G81 at 950 sfm and .0035 ipr

The drills threw chips so high (60 feet) they kept landing on the copper power rails for the overhead cranes

and blowing all the power out.

We had to rig tarps over the to of the HBM to prevent it. :laughing:

• Like 3