Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best toolpath for the job

Rocketmachinist

Flowline.  The key to using flowline on a fillet around a square, or any other perimeter is you cant have any sharp corners where the radii meet.  Adjust the perimeter Fillet so it is a little smaller than the corner Fillets.

And stay away from Surface Finish Blend... in my opinion. :p

EDIT: Sorry about the pics... couldn't figure out how to insert them into the post body...

New Bitmap Image.bmp

New Bitmap Image (2).bmp

Flowline.  The key to using flowline on a fillet around a square, or any other perimeter is you cant have any sharp corners where the radii meet.  Adjust the perimeter Fillet so it is a little smaller than the corner Fillets.

And stay away from Surface Finish Blend... in my opinion. :p

EDIT: Sorry about the pics... couldn't figure out how to insert them into the post body...

I think you might not understand how to properly use Surface Finish Blend, if you are making a statement like that. It does require some work to create your Blend Chains, but the effort is worth it in the end. Blend can create a smooth "flowline" style path over an unlimited amount of surfaces, regardless of the U/V curve direction. The path just "works", and creates some amazingly smooth motion across the surfaces/faces, if you take the time to create the proper drive chains.

With Blend, you need to create two chains of geometry that represent the "center line" of the cutter path, at the "start and end" positions. You can use the edges of the surfaces, but when using a ball endmill against a wall for example, you need to offset the surface edges by the radius of the cutter for proper path creation. You can even take multiple surface edges, project them to a flat plane, and then use Create > Spline > Curves Spline to "join" the separate curves into a single spline entity.

You also do not have the "sharp corner" limitation, since you can create a "Square" chain at the top, and a "filleted" chain on the bottom. (Offset by the radius of the cutter, since this is where the tool transitions to the "wall".

You can even blend from a "Point Chain" (single point), to any shaped chain as the "outer" chain shape. This can allow you to "spiral" out or in against any shape of surface or solid face geometry.

• Like 1

I think you might not understand how to properly use Surface Finish Blend, if you are making a statement like that. It does require some work to create your Blend Chains, but the effort is worth it in the end. Blend can create a smooth "flowline" style path over an unlimited amount of surfaces, regardless of the U/V curve direction. The path just "works", and creates some amazingly smooth motion across the surfaces/faces, if you take the time to create the proper drive chains.

I will be the first to agree with you there, that I absolutely do not understand how to get SFB to give me as smooth a path as Flowline.  I would also like to add that while my comment was said in jest, I definitely don't want to discourage anyone else reading this post from trying something they haven't before, especially based on my own lack of knowledge or inexperience.

I will say the problems I've had with SFB is that I just can't get that "Flow" to work.  Usually the results are jagged, up and down, scrubbing motions, and a lot of code (which is possibly not filtered correctly on my part) which doesn't play well with our non-high speed look ahead Haas controls.  In these situations I've almost always found a way to get Flowline to work, albeit with some painstaking geometry creation... lol

You have given me hope though, as I can see the usefulness of just being able to "force" it over multiple surfaces regardless of their inherent vectors.  I will definitely be experimenting with it tomorrow.  :cheers:

• Like 1

I will be the first to agree with you there, that I absolutely do not understand how to get SFB to give me as smooth a path as Flowline.  I would also like to add that while my comment was said in jest, I definitely don't want to discourage anyone else reading this post from trying something they haven't before, especially based on my own lack of knowledge or inexperience.

I will say the problems I've had with SFB is that I just can't get that "Flow" to work.  Usually the results are jagged, up and down, scrubbing motions, and a lot of code (which is possibly not filtered correctly on my part) which doesn't play well with our non-high speed look ahead Haas controls.  In these situations I've almost always found a way to get Flowline to work, albeit with some painstaking geometry creation... lol

You have given me hope though, as I can see the usefulness of just being able to "force" it over multiple surfaces regardless of their inherent vectors.  I will definitely be experimenting with it tomorrow.  :cheers:

Can you post a sample file to this thread, or to the FTP site? (Instructions for FTP are in the "Important Topics" Sticky thread).

It doesn't have to be an actual part file. Just save the surfaces you want to cut, and I'll throw down some sample tool paths on them as an example.

• Like 1

Here's just a simple block with a perimeter fillet around it.  The Flowline gives me the exact motion that I want, filtered down to where full arcs are swung around the corners.

I will admit that in this scenario, I actually got the blend to look pretty darn close, though around the corners, it is still giving me line segments, which on the machines we run here are less than desirable.

Maybe I will look later some time for an actual part example I've had trouble with.

Thanks!

Blend.mcx-9