Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Forcing MCX to select edges, etc

mikenaturalice

Hey guys, using MCX9. Is there a way to force Mastercam to select an edge only without going into the filter options? For example, I have a simple extruded 'bar' no wireframe, solid only. So I want to put a dimension on the OD and Mastercam continually wants to grab the center of the piece instead of the edge. If I wiggle the mouse around it sometimes will grab the edge, but for some reason this particular part took forever to get to the edge instead of the centerpoint. Appreciate any help.

thanks, Mike

post-51233-0-69642200-1479829815_thumb.png

I don't remember the last time I put a dimension on something....is there an edge icon in the ribbon bar that you can select? In other solids related tools, you can toggle on/off solid body, face, or edge in the ribbon bar. Do you have that option when dimensioning?

I can toggle the edge button on and off (face and body are grayed out) but it doesn't seem to do anything, just tried it. Still wants to grab the center of round solid bodies. It's not killing me LoL, just a little nuisance.  :laughing:

edit: As much as I like Mastercam vs every other CAM I have used, the CAD side is really lacking I am finding out the more I dig into Inventor pro... thats some nice stuff! 

If you hit "Q" on keyboard and then select the edge of that cylinder it will snap to the closest Quadrant of that circular edge, then you can simply hit Q again and pick the other side and it will give you the distance from quadrant to quadrant. That is the easiest thing i can think of to accomplish that other than using circular dimmensioning as someoen else mentioned.

edit: As much as I like Mastercam vs every other CAM I have used, the CAD side is really lacking I am finding out the more I dig into Inventor pro... thats some nice stuff!

Just for the record:

The CAD side of Mastercam is a great deal if your are not after full assembly and mechanism capabilities like in higher end CAD tools.

It's is so proficient that is used as the foundation package for some 3rd parties like Verisurf,which is a great inspection and reverse engineering solution.

It smokes Edgecam, Esprit, Gibbscam, Surfcam, Powermill (Without Powershape), Sprutcam, WorkNC and other minor packages.

It's pretty decent if you're not after drafting, assembly and mechanisms.

Without drafting needs, I'd pick it over Autocad anytime. Last version I used was V9. I believe it only got better ever since.

My feeling is that most training focuses on the CAM side of it and some cool things on the CAD side are overseen.

Not pointing any fingers here since I didn't even read the entire post, so I'm responding in a context.

For what is worth, I think CNC has improved quality and functionality quite a bit in the past 2-3 years, and I think all that noise customers posted here made a difference in their approach. There's no flawless engineering software but CNC definitely found their pace again.

Kudos where kudos are due.

Just for the record:

The CAD side of Mastercam is a great deal if your are not after full assembly and mechanism capabilities like in higher end CAD tools.

It's is so proficient that is used as the foundation package for some 3rd parties like Verisurf,which is a great inspection and reverse engineering solution.

It smokes Edgecam, Esprit, Gibbscam, Surfcam, Powermill (Without Powershape), Sprutcam, WorkNC and other minor packages.

It's pretty decent if you're not after drafting, assembly and mechanisms.

Without drafting needs, I'd pick it over Autocad anytime. Last version I used was V9. I believe it only got better ever since.

My feeling is that most training focuses on the CAM side of it and some cool things on the CAD side are overseen.

Not pointing any fingers here since I didn't even read the entire post, so I'm responding in a context.

For what is worth, I think CNC has improved quality and functionality quite a bit in the past 2-3 years, and I think all that noise customers posted here made a difference in their approach. There's no flawless engineering software but CNC definitely found their pace again.

Kudos where kudos are due.

You are right. I should have been more clear, I was actually specifically speaking of drafting LoL when I mentioned the CAD side of it! The actual CAD, creating geometry, solids, filleting/chafering said solids, is quite good!!  :thumbup: I hate the fact I have to create a sketch plane in Inventor, then the tools just seem odd to me to create lines and things. Now the solid modeling in Inventor is spot on! Back on topic, thanks Thad for the heads up on creating a direct dimension (I'm lazy and always use the smart dimension), I might add that to my shortcut menu if I continue needing to dimension solid rounds.  :laughing: