Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating Custom Tools from Geometry

Mickey@acceltool

How do you use step files for holders?

Start the toolpath you want to use. Pick the tool you want to use, or create a new Tool.

Creating a new Tool for example:

• Start the Operation you want to create, enter a new NC File Name if prompted.
  • Tool Page > Right-Click in Tool List > Create New Tool.
  • Select the Tool Type, and press Next or Double-Click on the Tool Type.
  • On the "Define Tool Geometry page, above the graphic window for the Tool, there is a row of small buttons. 3rd button is "Import and link custom geometry from a file". (There are two "levels" buttons to the left of this one, allowing you to choose a custom profile from a level (already drawn), or "save" the geometry to a Level (based on you entering parameters into the dialog box.)
  • Click the "Import and Link.." button to open a dialog box and allow you to select a file. (Mastercam, DXF, or STEP)
  • Once the profile is created, go to the Finalize Properties Page and enter the rest of the Tool Data.

That will use the geometry either in Wireframe (Mcam or DXF type) or Solid (STEP) to generate the custom profile.

The Process is very similar for creating a Holder from a STEP file:

• Click on the "Holder" page.
  • Click the "New Holder" button.
  • In the dialog, click on the 3rd button "Import custom geometry from a file". Select a Mastercam, DXF, or STEP file.
  • Finalize the properties to enter additional Holder Data.

Note that with both the Tool and the Holder, once you import the geometry, regardless of type (Mcam, DXF, STEP), you can use the "Save geometry to a Level" button, to save a copy of the tool profile inside the Mastercam File. I prefer to do this, since "Linking" the profile to an external file means that you must have that file available on your computer, using a "Static" file path. That means if you aren't careful about maintaining the locations of these files, or something gets moved/changed, it can mess up your existing tool definitions.

By importing the geometry, then saving it to a level, you have now stored the geometry locally inside your Mastercam part file, so it travels with the Mastercam File. You can also modify the profile if needed, allowing you to import, save, then customize the geometry.

Note that after you save it to a level, you then need to use the "Import custom geometry from a level" button to "break the external link" and "point" the tool definition to the profile that is saved locally on a level. For shops that have a good server setup, and are focused on maintaining the structure of their Tool and Holder Libraries, it is great to be able to store Tool and Holder files externally, and just link everything together. It does require discipline on the part of everyone though to make sure that once you have placed a tool inside a Network Folder location, that it stays in that location, with that original name. Otherwise, the link gets broken pretty easily.

• Like 2

I've asked before, although I don't think I got a direct answer. For those of you using solid models for toolholders, is it just because you find it easier, or you want it exact, or..? I only ask because I thought the holder libraries in Mastercam were pretty good. They allow pretty decent modification too, however you can't make a radius. Back to the question of it being exact, anyone ever use a solid model from a company and find it is not the same as the solid file?

I've asked before, although I don't think I got a direct answer. For those of you using solid models for toolholders, is it just because you find it easier, or you want it exact, or..? I only ask because I thought the holder libraries in Mastercam were pretty good. They allow pretty decent modification too, however you can't make a radius. Back to the question of it being exact, anyone ever use a solid model from a company and find it is not the same as the solid file?

Yes seem many not exactly the same. When I need exact I go measure if I need close enough I use the one from the company. I know it is exactly what is being used when I go physically measure what I am using and make everything to .001 of what is reality not what is supposed to be. I have done this for years and never been afraid to run a tool holder within .01 of a part and know it will not hit. You know what you know when you know it and you don't what you don't know if you don't go see for yourself. Yes had customers use different holders than called and crash holders into parts. Once they understood they either need to use the holder we called out or give us exact measurements of the holders they are using and assume all responsibility when they don't then they see the importance of good work on the front end to make the process go smoother. Same applies to any process when you are pushing the limits. To push them you must be 100% confident that everything being done is exactly what you expect. When it is not then that is when issues come up.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...