Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Improving Solids

Müřlıń®

Hi

Take a look at ProDrill for Mastercam 9.1 to create drill forms using Mastercam Solids.

Drill forms are created with chamfer, drilltip angle control and other relevant information needed to drill these forms using Mastercam. You can also automatically mark tapped and reamed holes and ProDrill will apply the relevant toolpath operations to them.

Sample image of drill form creation.

web_imagese3_Drill_form_creation.jpg

Sample image of possible drill forms:

web_imagesprodrill_table.jpg

For more information visit: Moldplus Website and click on the ProDrill link.

Regards

Anbu

[ 01-24-2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Anbu Lingappan - Intercam Europe ]

quote:

Filliting is very complex on ANY Solid modeler.

It takes alot of experience to do this on complex models

Peter, I guess what I meant when I said this was that its hard to get the solid fillet to go on. The actual process is easy, but the end result is very difficult sometimes in certain applications as far as the Solid kermel being able to do it.

For instance I have found that I have better luck filleting a model that I have made from a single extrusion with lots of boolean removes, cuts and such from it, rather than joining a bunch of small extrusions with boolean.

Knowing when your fillet will wipe out another small face or change the part to an undesired shape, ect, is where the experience comes in.

And it takes a while to learn all this stuff.

I still dont have it all down, and have to keep going back to the Param's window a million times.

I know that you can make another small Solid body sometimes with the desired fillet on it and do a bolean remove and be sucessful at finishing up a Model that you cant get the fillet to go on in a certain area.

But on some of my models, it would take just as much work to do that as it did to build the whole model bucause 60% of the fillets could not be put on.

This is why it is way easier to convert it to surfaces at this point and just zap 'em on.

Muchhhhhhhhhh easier smile.gif

I re-read what I initially said and I think I sounded alot like Dean has been sounding the last few weeks rolleyes.gif (I didnt explain myself good enough)....so there ya go, sorry about the book rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Murlin

[ 01-26-2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

quote:

I would also like it if there were an option to

create the drill-tip of a drilled hole.

+1000

PLUS, having a "tool library" of shapes. I do this with drill points, but what a pain. Make sure we can input the tip angle. cheers.gif

Codebreaker

What I expect of solids improving :

Better algorithm for closing surfaces to solids .

An option to change attributes like line thickness and color for edges and faces.

To have a way to combine neighboring faces to one complex ,integral face other then through solid sheet .

A way to built a set of slices from solid like in z plain every 0.5 mm from z0 to z-15.

A tool for faces blending

Tools for solid healing

Options for selection :

To select faces by window ,color

An option to select center ,quadrant of the solid edge that is an arc .

To select solids -All .

And more ...

quote:

2. 3d surfacing is annoying on it. If I write 3d on a few solids, and have one solid blanked when I regenerate the tool path. It will forget the solid that is blanked. I find that a bit frustrating.

Why vdo you blank solids.

Or are you talking about Surpressing the solid?

quote:

I rarely ever blank anything. Better to put it on another level, label it and turn it off. Less to remember that way.

Less to remember is a good thing. This is why I would like to see the levels linked to the solids in the solid manager.

On a very large model, when you have to go back and change something,if you forget what solid went where you must cycle through the list until the solid will highlight.

I would like to see the reverse and have it tied to the faces of a solid.

Like, when you have the solid manager up you could run your mouse over the graphic window and the faces would highlight as you move over them.

Clicking on a face would highlight all the child operations in the manager that were tied to that face that you just clicked on.

Then, if there were a level buttonby each child solid to take you to the level where the chains of that particular solid are, editing would be alot easier.

Of course prametric dimensioning would do the same thing if this would ever get added rolleyes.gif

But that might be asking too much biggrin.gif

Murlin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting in on this topic a little late...

quote:

keep all solid chains in a particular solid body automaticlly going to their own level.

Yeah, what he said!!!! (Murlin) How about keeping source wireframe safe on it's own level, it's too easy to inadvertently modifiy the wireframe, which completly ruins your solid. Or how about having a mask automatically set on the source wire?

I like Solidworks' feature tree, and being able to easily track down and see the and driving wireframe. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif