Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Many G01 moves VS. Arc moves G02/G03

Metallic

So I am getting deeper into my default settings for my controllers and I would post these dynamic toolpaths and end up with 20,000 lines worth of code for a program. I have updated my control definition to maintain arcs as opposed to linearizing. A G01 helical entry for a pocket may be 1,000 lines, whereas when it used I,J,K, it is like 5 lines of code.

So my question is what advantage is there to linearizing these operations and creating a mountain of code? Is there a reason I cant try to maintain arcs for everything within tolerance? It seems like my controller would appreciate the code being shorter, having less issue with look ahead, etc. Why does Mastercam default on linearizing?

Thoughts?

first advantage of linear is the controller can't miss interpret circle centerpoints  and either blow though wall or alarm out.

The way i heard it some controllers gobble code like crazy; I.e. makino Pro5 and Okuma 5 ax.

I've never had Circle problems on Haas but have on Fadal.

what u running?

29 minutes ago, mkd said:

first advantage of linear is the controller can't miss interpret circle centerpoints  and either blow though wall or alarm out.

The way i heard it some controllers gobble code like crazy; I.e. makino Pro5 and Okuma 5 ax.

I've never had Circle problems on Haas but have on Fadal.

what u running?

Milltronics Centurion 6...i only mention this topic because i have had the opposite effect....when my post is linearizing circles during dynamic toolpaths, it tends to blow out walls for some reason. Must keep in mind that it is a 1999 machine but its got 500ipm max feeds, it just cant seem to look ahead far enough or something. So it will dynamically mill fine and dandy, then for no reason will feed completely wrong and blow out features. If those features are simple arc moves, I wonder if it will be different.

30 minutes ago, Metallic said:

Milltronics Centurion 6...i only mention this topic because i have had the opposite effect....when my post is linearizing circles during dynamic toolpaths, it tends to blow out walls for some reason. Must keep in mind that it is a 1999 machine but its got 500ipm max feeds, it just cant seem to look ahead far enough or something. So it will dynamically mill fine and dandy, then for no reason will feed completely wrong and blow out features. If those features are simple arc moves, I wonder if it will be different.

Not sure how good support is, but you might shoot a section of code to the manufacturer. Trial and error on production parts 'll get expensive in a hurry.

wonder if they have a "cheap" processor upgrade?

I'm gonna go ahead and say on that Centurion control you want to use arcs as much as possible.  In fact I would set my filter to 0.002 and 50/50 for roughing and 0.001 10/90 for finishing.

That Centroid control is not going to eat up code like high end controls.  So as long as your parts/tolerances allow I'd open filtering up and shrink that code.

I agree it is not even close to an ideal machine for high speed machining but I am going to push it to its limit, wherever that might be. We are in the process of quoting new CNCs.

Thanks for all the tips, I am basically going to do a head to head compare on some parts, see how the control responds to each and fine tune from there.