Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

serial numbering

cherokeechief79

On 7/28/2017 at 2:36 PM, civicegg said:

You could write out the Macro call and associated commands as a manual entry, so it posts out correctly. 

This is what we do. Create a point toolpath where you want to macro to start, since it's probably all incremental, and then a manual entry with the macro call and any parameters needed to pass through into the macro. 

2 hours ago, jeff said:

We used to use macros for serial lettering, but then we bought an etcher.

Now the only lettering we do at the mill anymore is on a diameter or special stuff that the etcher cannot do.

There is a bit of merit to this, except for when you have limitations where you need to keep track of cut order and you have multiple fixture nests and whatnot.  Carrying them to the etcher can be a problem when you need to have trace-ability in the order that you cut them.  You could use trays and whatnot in these cases, but I have found that to be about as reliable as the person carrying them...

Otherwise, the etchers are slick as heck.  Much easier to setup and quick as can be.

• Like 1

You didn't say what machine you need to do this on? We serialize parts daily on Haas' like in that video with G47. We also do it in our fadals with L9201 cycle. This literally only reason we still have fadals. Our fanucs use a cheap little macro that I whipped up after some research on the web.  Real simple just runs off subs. 

5 minutes ago, balnh said:

Real simple just runs off subs. 

These work, but are pretty dirty, and not very flexible.  If you dig some more on the web, I have posted one up on Practical Machininst, and possibly here, dont remember.  It's pretty functional in comparison to the sub based ones, it has rotation, scaling, and whatnot.  I wrote it back in the day for a job with 30 parts on the nest that needed julian date + serial number in the bore cut order.  Anyway, if you are on a Fanuc and would like some help, more than happy to do so.

We use macro B for all engraving, serial #, date code, etc. We use the comment of the Mastercam operation. For date code and serial # we use special codes like @, and >

For example if we wanted to engrave part # (space) rev (doub space) serial #,   the OP comment would read  " 1234-5678 REV A  >  "

Our post is setup to spit out something like this  -  G65P9970 A0 B.25 I1. J2. K3. I4. J129. K5. I6. J7. K8. I127. J118. J105. K122. I127. J127. K99.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ray D Modern Industries said:

We use macro B for all engraving, serial #, date code, etc. We use the comment of the Mastercam operation. For date code and serial # we use special codes like @, and >

For example if we wanted to engrave part # (space) rev (doub space) serial #,   the OP comment would read  " 1234-5678 REV A  >  "

Our post is setup to spit out something like this  -  G65P9970 A0 B.25 I1. J2. K3. I4. J129. K5. I6. J7. K8. I127. J118. J105. K122. I127. J127. K99.

How do you keep track of the serial numbers then?

4 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

These work, but are pretty dirty, and not very flexible.  If you dig some more on the web, I have posted one up on Practical Machininst, and possibly here, dont remember.  It's pretty functional in comparison to the sub based ones, it has rotation, scaling, and whatnot.  I wrote it back in the day for a job with 30 parts on the nest that needed julian date + serial number in the bore cut order.  Anyway, if you are on a Fanuc and would like some help, more than happy to do so.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check on that site for the one you are talking about. Mine doesn't scale or rotate, definataley cheap and dirty.