Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fifth axis fixture on UMC 750

So we run a UMC750 beautifully using 3+2 and the G254. Some accuracy issues with the DWO but we deal with it. You cannot tilt the "B" axis when setting your home if you run G254 so if we use one of these fancy fixtures from fifth axis that holds three vices at 120 degrees apart on a 20 degree slope for accessibility where do we set the home. I want to run a home for each piece and then invoke the G254. I am thinking that I need to rotate a plane in mastercam and then create associated planes for the other four sides.  I'm sure there are a few ways to achieve what I am looking for which is essentially running three of the same parts on the UMC 750. I have talked to the fixture guys and I'm awaiting a phone call from my reseller, also talked to another shop who runs the UMC 750 with the same fixture. I haven't really heard what I want to hear just yet so here ya go guys. Lots props to you all, I'm always awestruck at some of the minds out there.  Any words of experienced wisdom would be much appreciated.

Yes that is what i want to do. I'm not familiar with the so called tilting work plane but it sounds like if I tilted a plane by the 20 degrees this then becomes my top plane and I create associated planes to that being the front back left right.... Ect all associated to my original tilted 20 degree top plane.  I think this will work and from that my machine homes will remain "C" zero and more importantly "B" zero. I'm probably just checking to see if that is the way the pros do it or it there is an easier way.....something I'm missing. Like I said before there are probably ten ways to do it and at least three or four good ones. Thanks

Your g254 sounds similar to our fanuc g68.2 I think

So you have a model of your fixture and you part solid in its respective position and program by making planes on the sides and top of the part.

There's probably a bunch of ways to do it but I always have a fixture and part model in their respective positions at a0 and c 0 so it can be loaded in camplete for verify. Even of no work is done at the a0c0 position I still use it as home in mastercam.

So when you face the top of the first part it would position to b-20 c0

I'm not sure about the G54.4 or the G68.2 but the G254 allows you to put the part in any position along the X,Y,Z,and C axis it will use center of rotation parameters to hold position while matching on any of the five natural sides or any "created angle" without using a additionl home. Its pretty cool but it doesn't allow you to manuver the "B" axis in any way to set the original home. So on the 20 degree riser plate the home must be "B" zero. My question is in the mastercam format is there a better way to program a part that will start out at 20 degrees other than creating an original 20 degree plane and then associating all the other planes to that one.

• 2 weeks later...

we just got it fixed 8 months later but it seems to be spot on.

1 the software has to be updated ,the repair haas has made to the dynamic work offset.

2 the machine has to be laser calibrated, others discus this in another thread about the machine. this is a 100 and 10 percent a must  if you don't you should just take the machine out to the dumpster and throw it out. i would have never said this with out seeing it with my own eyes what this does.

take the suggestion or not, you are head for a hard road.

• Like 1
On 9/22/2017 at 4:31 PM, greenxman said:

we just got it fixed 8 months later but it seems to be spot on.

1 the software has to be updated ,the repair haas has made to the dynamic work offset.

2 the machine has to be laser calibrated, others discus this in another thread about the machine. this is a 100 and 10 percent a must  if you don't you should just take the machine out to the dumpster and throw it out. i would have never said this with out seeing it with my own eyes what this does.

take the suggestion or not, you are head for a hard road.

Yes sir. I agree this should be on every shops yearly maintenance for their machines.

• Like 1