Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PROGRAMMERS AND OPERATORS

HEAVY METAL

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some have pride in their work and some don't.

You have 3 kinds of workers:

1, The worst i call dgaff's (don't give a flying f$%k), just pay me top dollar.

2,wanna be's. i'm it don't tell me anything i know it all.(but scraps alot of parts).

3, the best is someone who is willing to learn new things, is confidant at machining, and most important ability to comunicate. nothing worse than a bench full of scrap parts cause they did,t want to tell anyone.

I also think that now a day's there are a lot of back door peolple could't square a block on a bridge port kind. just know the computer thing which works for some but the best cnc guy will most probably learned from a saw then a file then a bridgeport the turning and so on, until the cnc stuff. An apprentiship.

Everybody speaks poorly of the bad operators. I for one worked with one of the dumbest operators in this trade. During the 1.5 years I worked with him I learned more from him then any other in the shop. He showed me where all the miscommunications, disorganized tooling, weak set-up sheets, poor documentation, inconsistencies, slight misunderstandings, remote possibilities, and Murphy’s law problems were. I learned to cross all my "t's" and dot all my "i's" because if I didn't he would surely screw it up. We went form very casual documentation to bullet proof documentation. Now any moron and I do mean moron that can read can come in and run their part. Yes he taught me much and looking back frustratingly, I am grateful.

Time for the:

'Those were the days...'

rant.

Has anyone else here ever had a part thown at them for making scrap?

Those were the days......

Apprentice: 'Uh, headscratch.gif I think I scrapped this part out'

Diemaker: (ready to have a nervous breakdown) 'what, What, WHAT!!!! firebounce.gif You little piece of sh!*!! They never should have hired you. You shouldn't be allowed to empty the garbage!!!'

Apprentice: "But this bridgeport is so worn out frown.gif and its missing a complete thread on the leadscrew so when I hit that spot my table jumps .200"

Diemaker: 'I dont give a damn!!! Just dont f*** any thing else up!!'

Apprentice: 'OK I'll try not to'

Diemaker: 'OK come on were going to the bar for lunch'

Ah yes.......

Those were the days....

But it made me a pretty good die maker not to mention influencing me as a MC programmer

I’ve been so busy this week, but I did want to get my input on this topic.

I have to state clearly – there is an art to offline programming. It’s all about communication. After my many years here, and at one company, I have worked out a copasetic relationship with the guys that run the machines. I will provide them with correct geometric data and clear setup instructions. My tooling is generic, and my feeds and speeds are middle of the road. Since we do mostly one-ops, it makes no sense for me to spend hours trying to dial in a tool when the operator / Machinist can turn the knob up of down depending on the sound of the tools. On anything ‘out of the ordinary’ I will talk it over with the guy that will run the job ahead of time. Ask him how he would run it and program it to his wishes. It’s no ego skin off my nose to comply with their approach, it makes my job easier. It’s all about cooperation and respect and partnership.

I have had ‘guys’ that want to be programmers and just can’t cut it as offline programmers. They have been the ones who are the big PITA!

Personally, as I am still attempting to transition out of programming, there is a lot of stuff (tooling, shopaids) I feel that don’t need offline programs. Bear in mind, our offline programs are heavily documented and are allegory to an engineering drawing. I would like to see these types of parts, that don’t need the traceability or archiving, programmed at the machine, using Mastercam.

And like the kid, (who is still struggling) said last week, as the light bulb went off over his head – “Oh – I get it! It’s not like I will write a program and go down and run it myself. Someone else will need to understand what I am saying!”

Duh!

Kathy

Rek’d – I best go out and find my own sippy cup. I’m going to need it!