Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tooltip Z-depth control

David Colin

I wonder if someone would love to get this really great feature to me (mcam mill):

To be able to define precisely the Z-depth tool tip by mean of a textbox in tool configuration (as it can be defined for diameter compensation control with special tools). Until now we only have 2 choices: radius center and tip.

To pass over this limitation i have to draw each tool (even some standards) which Z-depth control point isn't defined at tool tip. As Z-depth control point is defined on tool geometry at the Y-axis origin i'm translating the geometry according to the value i need. Even if this is taking some time i can arrange myself but... yes, there is the "but" word. Tool backplot and post output are correct but new verify mod from Lightworks appeared with V9.1 (it worked fine with the old one in V9.0) doesn't manage anymore tool geometry drawn below Y-axis... So keeping geometry above axis-Y would be feasible if i could define precisely tool control point. For info Vericut do it in standard but my boss don't want to pay for it...

However i'm still waiting for an update. Perhaps this is done (or planned) with maintenance program ?

I m gonna try to be clearer.

First, surfaces axis-5 machining is fine with ball cutter's standard control point (tip or radius center).

My problem is mainly with 2d contour toolpath or drilling operations.

Example with this disc mill:

disc-cutter-zdepth%20control%20point.JPG

If you want to control z-point i drew, you need to create/draw a special tool. Therefore, you need to draw cutting area (flutes) below y-axis (as you draw tools in top plane and y-axis represents tools's Z-height). So this trick is working perfectly with backplot and post output but unfortunately not with new Lightworks verify in 9.1 (worked great with 9.0).

You may say, in this one case, that i can use a standard disc cutter coming with Mcam and manage height tool into program. Yes, but this is not the way we work... it depends of the tool's use.

With this disc cutter if we only machine with top of tool it gives operator larger choice of cutters with different height: flexibility. And this without to tweak the program.

David,

Man did I miss the boat.

In verify are you checking use custom tool or auto? Maybe the settings are in correct. (I have no MC on this pc or would check it out.) If the settings are correct (prolly are) then need to make a simple sample and send to [email protected]

In the mean time you can apply a tip comp inorder for it to verify correctly. Yeah i know big pain in the rear.

Your NC code comes out correctly though right? Its just a verify problem?

quote:

In verify are you checking use custom tool

Of course, i do use Custom setting...

quote:

make a simple sample and send to [email protected]

I already did as V9.1SP2 came out and they answered me my custom tool wasn't correctly designed cause there was geometry below Y-axis... so i don't know if they decided to correct/improve verify to match backplot.

quote:

In the mean time you can apply a tip comp inorder for it to verify correctly. Yeah i know big pain in the rear.

Remain the risk to post NC like that...

To verify correctly, i usually load my file on V9.0SP1 but with this version there was an annoying bug: tool doesn't verify Z-clearance on 2d contour with compensation control. Nobody's perfect.

quote:

Your NC code comes out correctly though right? Its just a verify problem?

Yes, only verify. Backplot is fine too.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best way to translate a joke is parasolid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol! smile.gif

Once again teh wisdom of Iskander has humbled me frown.gif

But that is ok I'm too conceited for it to bother me though biggrin.gif