Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Does anyone die-sink?

Toolfab

I have run into a problem. I have a job that I need done, and I dont have the machine to do it. I am pretty sure the only way to get this done is by die-sinking. I have put the part toolfab-1 in the MC9 folder on Jay's FTP.

If there is anyone intrested in talking about this please feel free to either post or email me at [email protected]

I would appreciate any imput that anyone would have on this tool. I have never done anything like this and it has been very fun to think about, until I relized I cant do it..here.

Thanks,

cheers.gif

Paul, thats an abortion tongue.gif are the non indexable teeth inefective??? can you add clearance to get to the seats??? its doable on a stinker. but your talkin lots a setup/fixturing frown.gif

nothin against ya but there are a lot of indexable shell cutters out there. what is the special purp for this thing. curios thats all

I know its a mess, but these tools are for a weird arse application. They used to be manufactured with a helical carbide blade!! We used to heat the carbide up and TWIST IT along the helix.....have you ever twisted carbide....ever heard a cat skinned, thats what it sounds like!

We pretty much need it just like that. The inserts get face ground in the tool! Thos inserts are cast than mounted then ground!

Harry, thanks for the heads up! That is some funny stuff!

cheers.gif

No John, rolling the helix in is not an issue, and we HAD the fixturing to twist carbide. We actually used to do it. We would like to get away with it, twisting carbide is really not that acurate. Thats why we are triing to change these tools to indexable.

I still havent found anyone that can EDM or Die-sink these tools for me. I think we might have bittin off more than we can chew here..lol

Just a thought here. You might call Iscar. They have a custom tooling shop here in the DFW area where they make custom toolholders and inserts. They have a 9 axis grinder there. It sits on a 6 foot thick piece of granite. I don't know for sure if they can do this or not. Might be worth a call though.

I might be way out of my league, but to me the pocketes do not look that tough to CNC EDM, I would make a electrode with one pocket and having the part indexing around.

Are we talking onely one part?

What is the tolerances?

I once had a crazy part that I could not machine, it ended up that we contacted Uddenholm and they molded the part for us right from the factory, that could might be a way to get the helix shape, and then WEDM the center, and EDM the pockets.

Lars

toolfab,

i looked at your part and like mayday said i can not understand why you would need such a part as compared to what you could buy from any of numeras companies.dont get me wrong just curious.is this some proprietary thing or something along those lines?

i believe it could be edm'd with some time and thought, but why.

i believe with a inserted tool like that you would not be doing any finish work,so why the need for specialty tool?

just wondering.

good luck on your quest hopefully youll come out ahead.

trevor

quote:

is this some proprietary thing or something along those lines?

Yes, its on of those jobs that you cant talk about, you cant change, you cant deviate, you just have to figure it out.. banghead.gif

So Lars, you think you would be able to EDM this? I already have the helix milled in.....I need the pockets burned in.....If you are up for somemore details give me an email..

[email protected]

Thanks for the continued responses. I appreciate it. I still need help, anyone interested?

Hi Toolfab,

Put Lucky 1st on your list.

The shop I work in, do not have a sinker good enough for this job. However I can go over to a body of mine, and use his if needed. It is not a problem doing the pockets in the EDM. Did you do the helix on a 5 axis mill?

If things do not work out, let me know.

I am still corius about the twisting carbide.

Lars