Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SURFACE FINISH CONTOUR START POINT

mirek1017

Here is one way to do it.  First check your surface normals by selecting analyze dynamic.  The arrow should be pointing outward on every surface you want to machine.  Next create a surface that covers the top of your part and select it as a check surface.  This will keep the tool from cutting on this inside.  Finally create a containment boundry around the part that is large enough to allow your tool to cut the outside of the surfaces.

HTH

• Like 1

Do you have a containment boundry selected.  If the curve around the top of your part is your containment boundry the tool is trying to stay inside that area.  Since the area is covered by your check surface it can not detect anything to cut.  Take the curve around the top of your part and offset it outward by some distance greater than the diameter of your tool and use that for your containment boundry.  

8 minutes ago, master80 said:

good morning All,Can you guys help mi with  this toolpath??The inside surface finish contour looks very nice ,but I wont to get the same outside ,and there is something wrong .

look on my pic 

FINISH CONTOUR  Greenshot.jpg

FINISH CONTOUR  OUTSIDE  Greenshot.jpg

Check your surface normals. You cannot use the same set of surface if cutting on the ID and OD of the same set of surfaces. You need to copy to a new level and reverse the normals.

16 minutes ago, master80 said:

wont to cot only outside .

Looks like you are using the offset part profile boundary as your containment. Try moving it further from the part in areas is  not cutting, for instance you could replace those "inside cusps" (which are the left overs from the partial radius cut outs on the profile) with a single large radius which may allow the cutter to move more freely around the part.

Have you used the top of the part profile to offset your boundary? If so this is the smallest profile (I am assuming the wall is not vertical because you are surfacing). Try offsetting the lower profile and then smooth it out, per above, to allow more cutter movement.

Or just create a rectangle that includes all your present containment inside of it and use that as your starting containment.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, master80 said:

the wall should be not vertical .Maybe I should use ball nose ???

It doesn't matter what cutter you use to get the toolpath right. Anything other than a square corner endmill will do. The bigger the corner radius the more step over you can use. But I wouldn't worry so much about that, at the moment, you can modify the cutter parameters after you get it to go completely around the part as you want to.....as long as you don't alter the cutter diameter which might require adjustment of the containment boundary.

Have you checked to see if the walls are vertical? If they are just use contour and be done.

If they are NOT vertical you will need to surface it (unless you have 5 axis capability). Did you try enlarging the containment boundary?

I do notice that you got complete toolpath on the inside with what appears to be a Bullnose cutter (difficult to read). This would indicate that the walls are either vertical or an "open" surface. If the latter the corresponding outside wall might be "undercut" which will require a tool being defined and selected which is capable of undercut machining.

Use Analyse Dynamic to see if your walls are vertical.

7 minutes ago, master80 said:

I use the other toolpath  high speed woterline  and works fine

Run your part through verify.

If there are undercut surfaces on the outside it will appear that you have good toolpath. But it will not be machining the undercut part of the wall (it will cut it as a vertical wall based on the upper profile) and you will have excess stock in the undercut regions.

Flowline, Surface Finish Contour and Blend will all do undercut surfaces, but ONLY if you use a cutter capable of machining undecuts, such as wheel cutter or lollipop. Waterline does NOT support undercut machining.

The fact that you got good toolpath "inside" using SFC but not on the "outside" does indicate undercut surfaces. The fact that Waterline on the "outside" does give a toolpath with the same containment boundary and cutter reinforces my suspicions......

7 hours ago, master80 said:

I am set up my solid for stock ,and on verify  show my the tool cut walls same an all solid . 

Have you run the verify and saved the result as an .stl file to check that the finish is even over the whole wall surface(s)?