Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter inspection stops

Jaz

I have a relatively large titanium part to make.  Using dynamic optirough the first 3/4" step down cuts for about 2.3 hours. Is there any simple way I can get a retract and stop every 1/2 hour to check for wear and possibly change out the endmill?

I know that I can back plot the tool path then break it and drive it but I would prefer not to.

30 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I have a relatively large titanium part to make.  Using dynamic optirough the first 3/4" step down cuts for about 2.3 hours. Is there any simple way I can get a retract and stop every 1/2 hour to check for wear and possibly change out the endmill?

I know that I can back plot the tool path then break it and drive it but I would prefer not to.

With the correct toolpath, speeds, feeds setup and holder you might through the whole cut. Have a customer getting 6 hours of 1/2 endmills in Ti at 450 sfm .0055 per tooth feed rate with 7% step over.

• Like 2

Thank you Gcode, I'll play with that.

Millman, we will be using RobbJack 1/2" cutters. Starting at 3000rpm, 75ipm, .050" step overs (393 sfm, .0042 fpt, 10% step over). I'll run some tests to see if we can get closer to your parameters.

1 hour ago, Jaz said:

Thank you Gcode, I'll play with that.

Millman, we will be using RobbJack 1/2" cutters. Starting at 3000rpm, 75ipm, .050" step overs (393 sfm, .0042 fpt, 10% step over). I'll run some tests to see if we can get closer to your parameters.

Didn't say the number of flutes that is the key to the percentage of step over. Less flutes mean percentage of step over more to a point and with more flutes lees, but you can push it harder so you will see an increase in MMR not a decrease. Chip load per tooth is the key and DOC.

6 flute cutters. They start breaking at 12% step overs. I'm running at .75" DOC.

Another big contributor to cutter life is good coolant. Unfortunately we do not have through spindle coolant or high pressure coolant on this machine. My tests so far show a minimum of 30 min tool life, perhaps double that. We are doing more testing.

32 minutes ago, Jaz said:

6 flute cutters. They start breaking at 12% step overs. I'm running at .75" DOC.

Another big contributor to cutter life is good coolant. Unfortunately we do not have through spindle coolant or high pressure coolant on this machine. My tests so far show a minimum of 30 min tool life, perhaps double that. We are doing more testing.

Without thru tool you are at the limits. That is the difference we are seeing Thru Spindle with Chiller and 1000 psi. Anything else and yes you will only get that kind of tool life. I would back down to 5 flutes and just deal with it. Customer had Hydraulic chucks without Thru Spindle Tool Life was 30 minutes. Got Hyradulic chuck with thru spindle same speeds and feeds got about 2 hours of tool life.