Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hasp Security

bstrasser

Rather long story,

Recently we had a computer stolen during a weekend when nobody except the security guard was working. The local police came out to investigate and make a report. Several days later the guy that used the computer got a phone call from what he thought was the police telling him that they had stopped a vehicle with several computers and they were pretty sure they had his but they needed his password to make sure. Not suspecting any deception, he gave it to them. "Good news, we've got it." He races down to the police station to get his computer back,but they have no idea what he is talking about. The thief wasn't smart enough to defeat the password but clever enough to come up with an alternate plan.I'm not necessarily worried about the hasp, I'm more worried about the computer it's atached to. I take the hasp and lock it up each night and it is a pain.

I've got my hasps on a RS-232 cable about 5 feet long. Its not for security, its just so I don't have to crawll under my desk when I want to take it the SIM home. I beleive its just a regular RS-232 cable. They also sell RS-232 null modem cable.

Visually, they are identical, but the null modem cable won't work.

We are getting a new ceiling put in the room today. My idea was to run a cable along with all the other cables that go up into the ceiling and if anything happens to the computer(stolen)the cable will simply be disconnected and the hasp will be secure in the ceiling.Losing a computer is bad enough, but we have two level3 mill (1 with

lathe)and that is a considerable amount of money.I need to do what I can to protect it,and this is the best idea I've got.

A simple idea and it is for sure to work: make a cable with al 25 pin connected 1 by 1.

Or if you don’t want to work like a full to make it banghead.gif try to find a old cable for 486 for parallel port. For 486 the external connector isn’t on main board. You look on it and you find what you want.

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

gcode,

Thanks for the tip.We have 9pin-25 pin cables laying around here,but I could not find a 25pin-25pin cable. I will go to the local Radio Shack and see if they one. If this works, it would be ideal.

pno,

The reason we didn't connect all 25 pins we just had 10 wire cable that we use to make serial cable and I thought if we had it connected like the diagram we have it would work.I was wrong.

Thanks for the replies

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I use a null modem cable (I think) on my PC so I have easy access to it. I've seen them in lengths of 25' before.

The guy that called was obviously an idiot. There's bootable linnux utilities out there on the net that will reset the local administrator's password on NT, 2k, and XP machines for when you "forget". It's a nifty tool but you have to know where to look. It works quite well. I tested it on my machine. No way to make a computer totally 100% secure. Even if you have a BIOS password - unplug the battery, resets the BIOS. So even if you don't allow booting from floppy/CD that can still be bypassed with ease.

JM2C

I guess that is one of the advantages in my situation. Small company, no security worries. The only time I have ever removed my hasp was to put it on my new computer. I havent even locked my toolbox in 10 years.

bstrasser, what route do you think you will go?

I would rather not go the nethasp route at this time. We have a seat of Proe with a floating license, and some of the people that use it have a problem remembering to log off when they are finished. I tried serial cable onfigurations,both null and straight, and neither would read the hasp. The only cable I've got to work is a cable from a remote Zip Drive that has all 25 pins connected straight through(no jumpers).We are going to order 25 wire cable and make what we need.

Thanks

bstrasser,

I to have had some problems with theft in the past. Just a month ago I had one of my computers stolen (good thing it didn't have anything on it). I went to the nethasp over a year ago and we love it, it has not caused us 1 bit of trouble. I keep all my critical computers and hardware locked up and I have the only key, so if they want it, better break out the sawzall!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...no-no on null modem (2 and 3 swapped)

straight thru good ...

You're right, my bad. redface.gifredface.gif It's a Printer Cable extension. Male on one end, Female on the other. Thanks for correcting me. biggrin.gifcheers.gif