Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roughing a sloped surface with a 3" face mill

Roger

12 minutes ago, Roger said:

I would like to rough the sloped surface with a 3" face mill, and it's not working.(straight cuts at 0 degrees).  Can someone look at it and tell me why, or how you would do it. 

Or, any other toolpaths that would remove the material FAST!

RRR.mcam

You're wanting to run along the Y axis instead?

You could use a finish parallel then run the tpath @ 90 deg.

RRR_CJep.mcam

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Roger said:

Or, any other toolpaths that would remove the material FAST!

3 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

What's interesting is MC won't perform a retract after each pass unless you have the above selected. Looks like a bug.

I always use legacy Surface Rough Project here, it gives you the retracts you are after. Cut direction is up the slope

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Roger said:

Thanks Mark, that's something I've never seen before.  It still violates the surface though.

Untitled.jpg

I passed Kindergarten. By 3rd grade I got pointed scissors.

What I did was create a rectangle, selected the "trim" operation and defined that rectangle as my boundary. Then I selected outside of that rectangle for toolpath to keep. This eliminated excessive overlap on the top edge. 

I also created an extra drive surface to prevent the cutter from crashing into the part at the beginning of the cut. Direction was not working properly (another bug).

You can leave extra stock on the drive surface if it is still gouging.

18 minutes ago, Roger said:

This also cut's below the surface.

It violates the surface due to the way the tool is drawn. Because you're not using the tool in a 2D plane this description won't work. Cutting Diameter is the inscribed circle of where the radii touch. Secondary is outside cutting edge. It's gouging because it's trying to use a mixture of both diameters for the 3D surface.

Roger.png

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Manofwar said:

It violates the surface due to the way the tool is drawn. Because you're not using the tool in a 2D plane this description won't work. Cutting Diameter is the inscribed circle of where the radii touch. Secondary is outside cutting edge. It's gouging because it's trying to use a mixture of both diameters for the 3D surface.

Roger.png

Mark VIII's toolpath work's after I changed the secondary diameter to 3" also.  Thanks everyone for your replies.

• Like 1