Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T TOOL MANAGEMENT

DavidB

Hi all,

Im looking for any advice on how to store Mill tooling for a shop floor that runs small batches.

I've been given the task of reducing tool set up time.

At present each job has a tool list with tool build up and ext.With pictures as a guide.And op sheets.

Im thinking would it be better to tool each job and keep that tooling set and on a trolley for that job only?This would cost a bit of $.

The main prob I see is we only do small batch numbers so to tool up would be costly.But the machine can be set up for different jobs 2 or 3 times a week.

Any thoughts coments greatly appreaited. cheers.gif

We have some jobs that we run a lot that we'll keep the cutting tools [expendable tools like drills, reamers, taps] in a little box along with the fixtures, jaws, whatever so that the guy doesn't need to go on a treasure hunt finding all of the stuff. We have collet chucks, E/M holders, etc and collets on a couple of Toolscoots so finding those isn't typically a problem. If we run jobs all of the time we'll actually make a sketch of the tool showing collet chuck, cutting tool, extension, gage length, etc and assign a number to it. These 'dedicated' tools are never broken down until the tool wears out and they are reset to the dims on the sketch when replaced.

C

Depending how many tools your machine holds. You could dedicate pockets for tools you always use. T1=Facemill,T2=spot drill,... Thats just a start.We keep our special tooling in a job box, anything not special is put back in inventory.Our tool-list have all the info on them as far as holders , ext., projections.On jobs we do repetivly headscratch.gif (whew) we dedicate the tooling set in the holders along with the offsets.

The bad thing about dedicated tooling that is always in the machine is that NONE of the machinists think about checking the condition of the tools. They are perpetually dull, and often break in the part, creating damage.

I prefer tooling kept out of the machine, in a crib or cart. At least when the setup is done, ALL of the tools are checked before they are run.

JM2C

For our set up for a different prototype job every day, T1 thru T10 were set up with the most utilized tools- end mills and ball mills from .500 down to 1/16. T20 was usually a face mill, T19 an edge finder and the rest as the job required. A nearby drawer cabinet had all other assorted cutters. I am a neat freak. That helps! "A clean place is like a clean heart" -annonymous

Phil

+(5-1)/2^2 to chris (thats +1 BTW) biggrin.gif

We are looking at the same thing here. For repeat jobs, we are actually beginning to make up "shadow board" type "Trays" with cutouts for each tool and an area to store extras. We make up a little parts list sheet with tool part numbers for everything in the kit. The parts list gets laminated and attached to the inside of the lid.

If you are setting up the jobs every week, consider buying enough holders to keep the tools stored with the holders out of the machine. If properly stored you should be able to retain the tool length offset numbers so you dont have to reset the tools for each setup.

I have 6 milling machines and 5 lathes to look after.

The setup up time on the milling is what im look ing at.

Im thinking about taging the tooling some how so the tool# and length are always with the tool.

The operater should be able to get the correct tool from a trolley and put in the machine and not have to set the length,this would have to save time.

My consern is if they break a tool in production change it and dont update the tag for that tool. mad.gif

Thx for the replys cheers.gif

quote:

You could dedicate pockets for tools you always use. T1=Facemill,T2=spot drill

That's what we do. We have several machines and a 1" ball goes in the same slot on every machine.

as for all the other tools.

That way the operators can borrow tools from each other. We don't worry about tool length offsets. When an operator goes to use that 1" ball he will zero the tool every time. In this way, he will always be looking at his tool every time and he will always be able to see if the tool is dull and needs to be replaced BEFORE he runs a program on that tool smile.gif

This way, in the office we just have to set up one tool library for the whole shop wink.gif

Murlin

It may be difficult to quantify but you should consider how much the tooling would cost if you had to buy a complete set of sharp tools for each and every job vs what it would cost to dedicate one individual to preset the tools for each job ahead of production. Depending upon how many setups you will average daily, (I'd guess with 6 mills its probably between 1 and 4 with an average of about 2). You may already have a person that could preset the tools for these setups in addition to what they are already doing.

I'd be looking to the foreman or lead man in the mills because they should have the best idea about setups and they should know what jobs are comming off or going on and when. So you establish an area with all the things nessesary to set all the tools in one place. It sounds like you already have tooling sheets that tell you what holders to use, extensions, overhangs etc. They just need to set the tools to your tooling sheets prior to the machine becoming available.

DavidB ... Check out http://www.mscdirect.com/PDF.process?pdf=1606&x=5&y=6

Can some one in the states please contact these people for me cheers.gif

I have sent emails and no responce im after 100 iso 40 tags,and 50 BT50 reusable ID tags.

Or can you ask them to contact me at [email protected]

I can't find any in OZ.

Thank you so very much cheers.gif