Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dynamic milling

generaldisarray

I use dynamic contour all the time.

I have a part here that needs a core type toolpath. It looks like in mcam2018 it uses any stock you have defined as the outside "outmost chain"

from the manual

"Dynamic Mill (From Outside Strategy)—Machines open pocket shapes or standing core shapes using the outmost chain as the stock boundary. The toolpath starts from the outside and works its way towards the inner boundary. Enable this by setting the Machining strategy in the Chain Options dialog box or in the Toolpath Type page to From outside."

It only works like the help file says if you have no stock defined.

in either case you have to define the inner chain as an avoidance region.

Does this sound right?

On 1/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, generaldisarray said:

I use dynamic contour all the time.

I have a part here that needs a core type toolpath. It looks like in mcam2018 it uses any stock you have defined as the outside "outmost chain"

from the manual

"Dynamic Mill (From Outside Strategy)—Machines open pocket shapes or standing core shapes using the outmost chain as the stock boundary. The toolpath starts from the outside and works its way towards the inner boundary. Enable this by setting the Machining strategy in the Chain Options dialog box or in the Toolpath Type page to From outside."

It only works like the help file says if you have no stock defined.

in either case you have to define the inner chain as an avoidance region.

Does this sound right?

You lost me with the Core Type Toolpath. You can use the outer most chain, but have to get an offset to it that at least 1.5X to 2X larger than that to get Outside to happen. Issue is the dialog greys out when you use Dynamic Opti core and is real confusing to anyone wanting the tool to start outside like your describing, but then see the outside grey out like it does. It had me scratching my head for months wondering how is this suppose to work? 

Here I have defined a stock model as the Raw Stock for the operation. Sorry for the blur areas I am not allowed to share that because if ITAR.

What does a Mastercam programmer do when the software tells you one thing, but it doesn't work like you would expect? You use logic to find the answer. You either make your boundary shape outside and then use an offset distance 1.5X or 2X the tool to then allow the tool to start on the outside of your part or you make a wireframe boundary that is at least 2X larger than the part. The stock model then becomes the real boundary for the Dynamic Opti-Rough and Opti-Rest toolpath to not have air cuts. That is the difference between this and the old surface rough pocket. It was and still is not stock aware it is boundary aware. If the boundary on that toolpath is 100X bigger than the part it will cut all that air. With Dynamic Opti-Rough and Opti-Rest the Boundary is more like an recommendation than an must use. The must use is the Stock Model or Previous operation. I don't like using the previous operations that much. I like to build progress stock models and use them. That is my preference and not sure what the official thought on all of this is from CNC Software.

Now is this is not what your were thinking I am sorry, but I am not all that good at throwing darts at a dart board in a pitch black room blind folded facing the wrong direction on the other side of the world. That is me trying to be funny. ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Seedy steve said:

I spoke of the Dynamic mill , he talked about dynamic contour and you , about opti rough... looks like we are all screwed up.

I was also talking about Dynamic mill. Not opti rough. I misled by mentioning dynamic contour, I meant to go on and say it works so easily and I was having such a tough time figuring out WTH was up with this Dynamic mill.

The root cause of my frustration was I had  stock defined (under stock setup) for my first op. display was unchecked for clarity on my second op.

" What does a Mastercam programmer do when the software tells you one thing, but it doesn't work like you would expect? You use logic to find the answer. "

Logically I found where it was grabbing a chain to make a toolpath, even when I didnt give it any.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, myemail said:

This from the same guy that is always demanding that we post our files on the forum? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

i never seen 5th axis cgi ever demand a part file from anyone, maybe he has asked for one i dont really know but it is much easier to help someone if you can see what they are doing in their file. i don't even know the dude or anything but i have been on these forums long enough to know every time i have seen him request a file it was because he was trying to help someone else. to me it makes perfect sense that he might need to blur something, you should be appreciative of what he did provide and all the time he spend trying to help this individual instead of complaining that he blurred something out because those of us that want to help might not even try for people that respond with comments like this.

From the original question yes in 2d dynamic If you want core milling you need a machining region=(stock size) and a avoidance=(part size) set at out side, If you want cavity milling the machining region (the pocket)is the machining region (set at in side)with a ramp in, or a pre drill= (air chain), And for open pockets they are machining regions (set to from out side) I hope this helps.

• Like 1