Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

deep drilling

Tcommis

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ok, Assuming that the bottom of the part is Z0;

Create a point(s) at Z2.5. Toolpaths, Drill, select the point. Set the TOS at 4. Absolute and the retract at 4.1(or whatever you want for where you want it to start feeding. Now create a point at Z0 (which is 4" from the top of the part using my method). Toolpaths, Drill, select the bottom point(s). TOS is Z2.5 Abs. Retract is 2.6 Abs. Clearance set for anything over 4". UNCHECK use clearance only at the start and end of operation.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Good reason you don't see that check box. You're running 8.1, it's only in 9.x biggrin.gif

Retract needs to be your safety distance from the previous depth and clearance needs to be above the part.

If I understand your question correctly, you will need to customize your post to deal with this type of drilling operation. Standard drill cycles will only retract to the r-plane until full depth is reached, then retract to the clearance plane.

I ran into a situation similar to this, only I was peck drilling using a 90 degree head. I ended up writing a macro to deal with the cycle.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ahhhhhh, I see said the blindman to his three deaf children. You'll need a custom drill cycle I believe since you ned your retract to come out of the part....

Hmmmmm. I'd pput in a call to Fadal Applications Engineers in Chatsworth and see iof they have some variables you can plug into the canned cycle to get that.

Your next best option would be to do a hole long hand, edit the retract and sub it.

HTH

Sorry

Version 9 also includes the custom drill parameters page to set up non-standard drill cycles. i just used it the pother day to set up a custom cycle for a gun drill application. this application is also avalaible in version 8. you must tweak post to use variables but it works nicely. HTH