Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do you use Slice over Spin in Turn profile and why?

Jayson Kramer

4 minutes ago, Old_Bear said:

I use slice as I have no need for the lower profile...

So if there are holes or slots on the Profile when doing Slice you will see the divets or holes shown in the profile cut is this what you want?

Now you say you use so you can get and upper profile. but as shown in the picture this is an option. So there is know other reason for using slice over Spin for you?

Thanks

516358300_TurnProfile.jpg.30dd7458247e07bf7151d1c2a89e5793.jpg

• Like 1

I use both depending on the project.

When spinning, it ensures the form is created for the rounds of the part (allowed turn profile). A lot of times, we have models with vent flats, if i cut thru (slice) that vent and use the profile, the part would be turned under size by the depth of the vent.

When using slice, i use it more to verify/get locations of say angled holes/water lines, etc.

This was shown to us quite a few years ago, but i'm sure there are more advanced ways now.

As of now in mcam2020, there are still issues with slice in the turn profile mode, it generates nurbs instead of the lines/arcs. See Ken's response here. http://forum.mastercam.com/Topic31976.aspx

• Like 1

Turn profile slice works great for generating profiles on mill or wire parts too just need to set a quick plane to your depth and do a turn profile slice with both profiles like i did in the wire edm application shown below. Of course there is other ways to generate that profile easily too but that tool is more powerful than just lathe work.

a.jpg

sometimes i like just having a profile for like a swarf or a wire 4axis path using the Sync By Branch sync method and projecting lines or turn profile slice creates that geometry easily.

• Like 1

I've always used slice, simply because with spin I used to get splines instead of radiuses.  Recently I've been told to use spin because when you use slice it might miss a featured(it has happened to me that I program a diameter too small because it had a flat and I miised it), but then I already know about that.  As far as top or bottom, I like to have both, call me stupid but I like to see the whole picture.

• Like 1