Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Movin on

Noel

Ive been putting in 30 hours a week at the other place for about 2 1/2 months now and the more I go there the more I like it. the type of work is way more satisfying.My wife says she hasn't seen me this happy with my work in a long time.I'm starting to think that there is nothing to loose and everything to gain.Most machinests are fueled by the challenge and have a overwhelming pasion for their work and the owner of the company shares my pasion and I already know that I can work with him.If anything it should be a fun ride.Who knows mabey I will still chicken out.Time will tell.I don't plan on burning any bridges and am more than wiling to train my replacement.I would only be an email of a phone call away.Mabey it is just an early midlife crisis.Any way thanks to the members for their advice.This forum is an invaluable tool in more ways than one.

cheers.gif Noel

Noel, I understand completely about not wanting to look back in a few years and say What If??? I started a similiar positon last fall. They wanted to change the world within, but when push came to shove, the owner says"Don't rock the boat". I saw this coming before I started and if it were not for completely miserable working conditions at previous employer, I would not have taken it.

I plan to stick it out for as long as I can to get the experience designing EDM electrodes, something I could not do at last place.

If money is not a huge concern, like i can go a month without it type of situation then I would go for it. If not then be cautious. I think that learning is the most important thing, if you are learning alot at the new job that the old don't offer then take the new. We ain't gonna get rich working for sometone else so we might as well learn all we can and enjoy are job as much as possible. From what you have stated i say go for it. If it don't work out there are lots of jobs. Hell you could move to Cali and bag groceries for almost a tool makers wage. rolleyes.gif

noel,

quote:

as I am the only one at my current shop that knows mastercam

this seems to me maybe you are worth more at your current job. i was in the same situation a few ywears back.i was going to leave a job that i liked simply over a money issue ,boss man said what will it take. i ended up staying with a 3 dollar an hour raise and a contract to boot.

id be up front with your current employer and see what comes of it.

jm2c,

trevor

Trev

Im pretty sure my current employer is not going to be able to match what i am getting at the new place as they would have to give me another 10 bucks an hour just to match the new offer.If it was only a mater of a few bucks I wouldn't even be considering it.I'm supposed to have a talk with the new guy tonight so I'll see what his final offer is and get it on paper and then make my decision.

cheers.gif Noel

noel,

thats some increase.best of luck to you on your decision making.not knowing your age and how far from a full are partial retirement you are that could change the whole picture.i myself am 33 and looking to be out clean at 55, an extra 10 an hour now that would put me out at maybe 53,id ask myself would that job last that long? if not make sure you do not burn any bridges at your present place.

good luck,

trevor

Trev

I'm only 37 at present.I don't beleive in burning bridges.I would be willing to help my company with the transition by training a replacement and or programing part time.After 20 years I would definatly find it hard to go but sometimes you have to do what is best for yourself and your family.Thanks to you and all of the members for the advice and well wishes.

Noel

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That much of an increase.... I'd have to search long and hard for a reason not to do it. It;s about what's important. I am where I am at now because it's flexible in the ways I need it to be, good environment, I can grow, take on more responsibility, close to home and I can make it on what I'm being paid without having to send my wife to work somewhere. I could get a healthy raise elsewhere but the things I would have to trade off are so not worth it at this point in my life.

JM2C

Good Luck Noel! cheers.gif

quote:

id be up front with your current employer and see what comes of it.

jm2c,

+1000 TREV

A few minutes observing your current employers reactions may help you decide. Of course you should give them a few days to get over the "shock" and "abandon" feelings wink.gif

I would also discuss viewing records of business performance before committing. When taking on a position like that you will definately need measurables on all levels of operation to accurately analyze what actually needs to be done to "turn it all around". And is there cash for doing it?On paper ? Also nice to have past info. to compare to the outstanding numbers you will achieve if ya take it.Othwerwise you run into the "he said, she said" scenario.The extra 10 bucks is just to get ya in the door, after that you must negotiate performance bonuses. biggrin.gif

Just some things ive run into, hope it helps. cheers.gif

Good luck

Yeah, one place tried to burn me on that one. I take the shop from 86% efficincy to 97 % and 85% on time delivery to 98% ontime delivery. You think they would be a little gratuitous. But that's what i hired in to do, my bad for not getting a contract !