Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool path deviation

NauticalD

3 minutes ago, NauticalD said:

While creating a tool path of evenly spaced point I get this weird deviation. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Nope but I stayed at a Holiday in once  :)

On a serious not without a file, it's difficult to guess what might be occurring.

• Haha 1

its probably the cut tolerance on the cut pattern page, try .0001 instead of .001 for the toolpaths cut tolerance. i couldn't really see the problem very well in your file even with zooming way in so i couldn't tell if it fixed it but i think that cut tolerance is what effects the accuracy so it will probably fix the issue., 

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, JoshC said:

its probably the cut tolerance on the cut pattern page, try .0001 instead of .001 for the toolpaths cut tolerance. i couldn't really see the problem very well in your file even with zooming way in so i couldn't tell if it fixed it but i think that cut tolerance is what effects the accuracy so it will probably fix the issue., 

Thanks, but that didn't change it. For reference, the deviation happens on the 'west' operation shown in this screenshot

deviation 1.PNG

1 minute ago, Chally72 said:

I don't have anything as old as X7 installed, but simply regenerating this path with no changes, in 2018 and up, gets rid of this hump. 

Unfortunately didn't fix it. Thanks though. Super frustrating as it's causing a slight movement of the robot while cutting and I can't have that.

1 hour ago, NauticalD said:

Now I feel like the surface has something to do with it. If I extend the surface a bit more it changes how that deviation looks.

Yes since your using a Robot you need to get in the habit of drawing your motion you want to follow verses hitting the easy button. Surfaces are only as good as the way they were saved and imported in. If you want to follow precise edges then work with them and not surfaces. Doing that by their very nature are not accurate unless all the work pre and post to work with them is done. 

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Yes since your using a Robot you need to get in the habit of drawing your motion you want to follow verses hitting the easy button. Surfaces are only as good as the way they were saved and imported in. If you want to follow precise edges then work with them and not surfaces. Doing that by their very nature are not accurate unless all the work pre and post to work with them is done. 

We can't use solids in our Mastercam so when we import the part from Solidworks we end up using it to create a wireframe. I then create a surface using the wireframe. When creating the multiaxis toolpath I use the created surface as my 'tool axis control'. 

To solve my problem here today I just didn't extend the surface on the east and west side of my part like I normally do. Sometimes when I don't extend the surface it will create a funky path but today it didn't. I'm limited as we use Mastercam X7 and Robotmaster V5. Both very out of date but not willing to update at the moment.

2 minutes ago, NauticalD said:

We can't use solids in our Mastercam so when we import the part from Solidworks we end up using it to create a wireframe. I then create a surface using the wireframe. When creating the multiaxis toolpath I use the created surface as my 'tool axis control'. 

To solve my problem here today I just didn't extend the surface on the east and west side of my part like I normally do. Sometimes when I don't extend the surface it will create a funky path but today it didn't. I'm limited as we use Mastercam X7 and Robotmaster V5. Both very out of date but not willing to update at the moment.

You should have other options to control your Tool Axis Control if using Swarf or Curve 5 axis with just chains and not surfaces. You have your edges then use them and see if that speeds things up and also gives you better control for the toolpaths. Hopefully your company will quit limiting its ability to be competitive and see they need to invest correctly to use the technology to it's full abilities. I use to make toolpaths with pencil and paper 30 years ago. X7 gets the job done, but not investing in the cheapest part of the equation in today's manufacturing with up to date software will at some point hurt them. 

• Like 1