Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool holders

TERRYH

Mastercam comes with a default tool holder that you can turn on and off in verify, can you either down load others from the tooling mfg. if there even available, or create your own like you can do for custom tools? Or would you have to create the holder and tool as one file and treat it like a custom tool? I am cutting a part with a deep pocket and want to make sure I have clearance in the 3-axis machine so I can do as much as possible there before I send it to our 5-axis.

Bring up the holders library as Tom has suggested then create or alter existing ones. Just click on the holder (each segment) and change the dimension or start from scratch and add each segment. Takes no time once you get started.

Here is a quick video to give you the idea.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot I never knew that was there. Is that only available in 2D tool paths I don't see it when doing 3-D And yes we typically do not use tool holders either but I am doing a very deep cavity and want to make sure I have wall clearance.

The tool holder clearance options is great.. I had a part I had to get down like 4.5 inches.. I was right up close to some other features cutting Aluminum at 300 IPM so failure wasnt an option.. being able to verify my holder clearance allowed me to stub my tool up to only a 2.5 inch extension and still get to the majority of the material.. then was able to use a long tool afterwards to clean up the minimal leftovers.

I think this is one of the most valuable and underutilized tools in Mastercam.

I got a few created that I want for example a 1" ball mill in a 13.5" tapered holder. If I have that and it looks right on my screen when I run verify, do it do the compensation for the entire thing so if it hits another wall it will show a crash?